2011-12: Week 17

In the Just Wood Premier Division, Burton Cons A maintained their lead at the top by beating Rileys A 2-6 away. According to non playing captain Mick Simpkins, Rileys gave them a good run for their money. For Rileys, Michael Lomas played very well to take the first frame off John Shilton, but John used his experience at this level to easily take the second. For the Cons, Mat Milnes found a bit of form to comfortably take both frames off Daniel Clamp. Owen Jones lost his frame to Martin Riddel, but won the second frame with a well constructed 33 break. For the Cons, Stuart Roberts won both frames to beat Zaheer, although this was a difficult match, but a 35 quality break helped his cause.

In their first match of the new year, Ivanhoe A were in cracking form, beating Tutbury A 7-1. Although Ivanhoe’s cause was helped by the failure of a Tutbury player not turning up and so giving away two frames, but on to the match. Ivanhoe’s Andy Marriott was in good form, making a 36 break to win the first frame, but Tutbury’s Alan Davies comeback in the second frame, giving Andy very little opportunity to score. Mick Kirk won two scrappy frames against Craig Keen. Ian Rennocks was in superb form, giving Daz Lester very few chances in both frames. Ian made an excellent 72 break in the first, with some superb potting, and he carried on this firm into the second frame, but only made a break of 36!

A good win for Tutbury B against the team just above them, SDSC B 5-3. Dave ‘Silver Fox’ Powell played a captains role, by comfortably taking the second frame off Andy Bloor, after unluckily losing the first after Andy potted the last three colours to win on the black. For SDSC, Simon Orpwood was in good form against Steve Mabbott, and won both frames easily. The Mabbott brothers played the Bloor brothers in the two remaining matches, and it was a comfortable victory for Dave and Chris Mabbott as they won all four frames.

SDSC A and Willington A drew their match. Chris Dewey and Wayne Pieira drew a very close match. Andy Goldingay, who was back on form, had very little problem in beating Jan Powelzch. The Power Mens’ most consistent player, Gary Barker, was again in good form, beating Steve Ayre with the help of an excellent 48 break, made up of good long range pots, and good positional play. John Davis and Bill Stewart, in what was two scrappy frames, and quite rightly, the match ended level.

In the relegation battle between Stapenhill A and Ivanhoe B, it was Ivanhoe who won it 3-5 away, to give them their first win of the season. Andy Tomlinson and John Skellett both played out a drawn game. Ivanhoe’s Stuart Tagg playing well, managed to beat Tim Knopik. Jason Pickering won both frames against Carlos Jeffcoate, to give Ivanhoe victory. Steve Ford brought a certain amount of respectability to the score line by beating Mark Newhall. Steve made a cracking 46 break in the first frame, and just to make sure, he made a 31 break in the second.

A good win for Willington B against Belmont B 6-2. Willington got off to the perfect start with John Hardy taking two fairly easy frames off Miffa Smith. Lionel Lewis also won both frames against Arron Vaughan in two very close frames, with Lionel just having the edge. Tony Clements was in good form in the first frame against Rich Goldby, Rich came back well to take the second frame with a tidy break of 34. Steve Gaunt and Michael Morris fought out two scrappy frames of snooker, which ended all square.

In the David Wain Insurance Division 1, Burton Cons B beat Rileys B 5-3. For the Cons, David Shipton drew with Ade Harper, whilst Jason Anguish beat Adam Bridges. Nearly every time Jason plays, he very rarely fails to take both frames. Tom Egginton did very well to hold on to Mark King as he was in good potting form. Team captain, David Plunkett, dropped a frame to Andy Speirs, who played well.

In the match between Drakelow and Woodville A, ther match result was in doubt until the final frame, but Woodville won 5-3. In the match between Mark Baxter and Colin Sherratt, the two frames took well in excess of 90 minutes. Mark came back well to win the first frame on the black, and in the second frame, they speeded up a little for Colin to win on the pink. For Drakelow, Alan Orpwood potted the last three colours to snatch the first frame off the talented Andy Grainger. On the second frame, Andy was more clinical in his potting. Woodville’s Paul Slater secured the victory for them by beating Pat Ryan in two entertaining frames, with good play on both sides. Tony Coleman and Lee Wood drew. Tony won the first frame with Lee needing snookers on the yellow, but in the second frame, Lee won it on the pink.

An excellent result for the league leaders Rileys D, against SDSC D where they won 7-1. Mark Stirling took both frames off an out of sorts Ryan Gilmore. Steve Brimley was back to form beating Rob Press. Mike ‘Mr Consistent’ Flanagan, again took both of his frames against Lee Sherratt. SDSC’s Adey McDonnell saved the dreaded whitewash by taking a frame off Mick Tonks.

The most surprising result of this division this week was Belmont C’s hammering of third in the table Rileys C 7-1. Belmont got off to the ideal start 4-0 up at the turn around, with Lee Turner destroying Rileys captain, Adam Farrington. This week it was Paul Eaton’s turn to have a substantial break of 51 against Gary Mayne. Paul’s break started off with a long red off the break, then with some excellent pots and good positioning, Mark Sherratt also weighed in with a 39 break, in beating Jay Hall. Rileys Paul Fox won a frame against Kev Ramsell to prevent the whitewash.

A close match was expected betwwen SDSD C, who are fourth in the division, and Ivanhoe who are second, but it did not turn out that way, with Ivanhoe winning 2-6 away. SDSC got off to a great start with Adam Harrison taking both frames off Gaz Dolman, which is only the second time this season he has failed to win a frame. Adam hit top form on the night by giving Gaz little opportunity to show off his potting talents. After that, it was down hill for SDSC. Young Harry Farrell, although only 12 years of age, acquitted himself very well against Steve Cockerham although, losing both frames. Pete Maguire was unlucky to lose both frames to Graham Measures. Henry Tomas surprisingly lost both frames to Jerry Cook, who is finding some form of late.

Draw specialists, Burton Cons D, are at it again, drawing for the ninth time this season away to Ivanhoe D. Barry Fieldsend got Ivanhoe off to a good start, by taking both frames off Jim Jennings in a very competitive match. George Cawkeswell and Steve Castledine drew in a rather scrappy match. For the Cons, Mick Buckland was in cracking form by taking both frames off the experienced Warner Collins. Jack Bale got the frame which got Ivanhoe the draw against Ian Shrive.

In the Rileys Division 2, Newhall inflicted only the second defeat of the season to Alrewas A 5-3 in what was reported to be a very tight match. Newhall did not get off to the best start, as Mark Anslow lost both frames to ‘mister 100%’ Phil Marklew. Phil had breaks of 27 and 22 to win fairly comfortably. Joe McInulty was again in good form by beating Will Sherratt, which included a well constructed 30 break. Carl Glover was again in good form, this time taking both frames off Roy Sherratt, which again included an excellent 41 break, with some very good pots. John Sharpe, for Alrewas, took the first frame off Callum Grey, with the help of a 25 break. Newhall needed the last frame for victory. Callum did not let them down, with a break of 28, which won the match for Newhall.

A good win for Rolleston B away to Woodville C 3-5. Luke Hudson and Aaron Doyle, played out two good frames of snooker, which ended in a draw. For Rolleston, Lee Cooke was the star player, taking both frames off Terry Eyley, with some good pots and safety play. Jim Gardner also drew with Neil Cheadle. In two frames between Richard Thorniwell and Tim James, they could have been won by either player, but in the end, it finished as a draw.

In the inter club derby between Swad Cons B and C teams, it was the high flying C team that scrapped home 5-3. In the match between Dan Petcher and Craig Wilson, Dan made a break of 39 before going in off the red, but Craig dug deep and stole the frame on the black. In the second frame, Dan made sure that Craig was not going to win the second, which he won easily. For the C team, Matt Newbold took both frames off John Griffin fairly comfortably, and knocking in a 25 break as well. Jon Petcher and Bob Birch drew in a fairly even match. Pete Fearn potted well in the first frame, and Errol Faulkner did similar in the second, for a well deserved draw.

Belmont D beat SDSC E 3-5 away. Belmont got off to the perfect start, thanks to Josh Gebbie playing some good snooker to beat Andy Jefferies. Josh made a 26 break. The experienced Terry Bosworth then played Ray Bancroft. Terry rolling back the years, made a very good break of 36 to beat Ray. Belmont’s Brian Cutting, got the one frame they needed for victory against Ray Stretton. SDSC’s Tony Mitchell took both frames off Dougie Lees.

Willington C lost at home to Woodville B 3-5, in a very close match in which Woodville just managed to scrape through. Woodville’s Bill Davidson played very well to take the first frame against Steve Lane. In the second Bill needed a snooker on the pink which, unfortunately, doubled it into the pocket. David Budworth played steady snooker against Daz Harris to put Woodville 3-1 up.  The Power Men, Loz Kennerson was in good form, comfortably taking both frames against Brian Alford, then Trevor “Hitman” Heath could not do anything wrong on the night against Steve Butterworth, the “Hitman” easily won the first frame, but Steve made more of a fight of it, but still lost it on the green.