2011-12: Week 22

In the Just Wood Premier Division, there was a cracking match played out at the Cons between Burton Cons A and Ivanhoe A. The match ended in a draw, which, by all accounts, was a fair result. Match of the night was between Jonathan Fletcher and Andy Marriott, when there was 5 breaks over 30 in two frames. Andy Marriott, for Ivanhoe, started the first frame with a solid break of 51, only for the Cons Jonathan Fletcher to knock in a 53 break, only for Andy Marriott to win it on the colours. In the second frame, Andy started off again well, with a 36 break, but this time Jonathan was even more determined to win the frame, by knocking in another superb 55 break, and then followed it up by making a 34 break to clinch and level the match. This must have been a very good match to watch. Stuart Roberts and Andy Moore had two shared frames, with Antony probably the happier of the players. In the match between Owen Jones and Michael Kirk, Owen, for the Cons, started off well in both frames against Michael, but missed vital balls in trying to finish off his opponent, and paid the penalty by losing both frames despite making a 43 break. The pressure was on Mat Milnes for the Cons, as he needed to win both frames against Ian Rennocks, which is no mean feat. Mat coped with the pressure excellently, despite a 36 break by Ian. I would say, that a good night of snooker was had by all.

A good home win for Tutbury A 7-1 against relegation threatened Stapenhill A. Stapenhill’s Andy Tomlinson started off like a train in his first frame against Alan Davies, but lost his way in the second for Tutbury’s captain Alan Davies to win easily. In what was expected to be a tight match between Craig Keen and Steve Ford, it was with Craig just edging it, which also included a 32 break. A rejuvenated Daz Lester took both frames off Carlos Jeffcoate in some style. Paul Atterbury got back to winning ways with two good frames of snooker against Tim Knopik.

It is going to be an interesting last few games for Ivanhoe B, as they try to stave off the threat of relegation, after losing at home to SDSC A 6-2. For SDSC, Andy Goldingay again, was in good form, this time beating Ivanhoe’s up and coming Mark Muir. Steve Ayre was in superb form, beating an out of sorts Jason Pickering. Steve, when left on, took full advantage of his opportunities. Chris Dewey was also playing well against Stuart Tagg, and was able to win both frames albeit, he won the second on the black. A good thing for Ivanhoe was the form of John Skellett, who beat John Davies.

The match between SDSC B and Rileys A ended in a draw, which was more beneficial to Rileys than SDSC. SDSC are second from the bottom, and Rileys are fourth from the bottom. Simon Orpwood got SDSC off to a flying start, by taking both frames off Michael Lomas. Rileys levelled the score thanks to Martin Riddell beating Brian Bloor, with some fine potting. Andy Bloor then drew with Rileys captain, Zaheer in a couple of scrappy frames. Garton Bloor and Michael Dewsbury also drew in two entertaining frames with some good pots by both players.

Newhall A kept up the pressure on Burton Cons, by beating Willington B 5-3, in a very tight match. The only difference between them was Fran McInulty beating Tony Clements, to give Newhall Victory. Adam McInulty, who played John Hardy, did not have it all his own way, as John played some good safety play, which enabled him to draw the match. Martin Hicks and Lionel Lewis had two close frames, which was deservedly shared. A similar situation occurred between Mark Satchwell and Steve Gaunt, who shared the match.

In the Belmont derby between the A and B teams, the result was a draw. The B team got off to a pretty good start. Rich Goldby won the first frame fairly easily despite Graham Bailey knocking in a 30 break. Mark Vaughan, who was playing Steve Burton, won both frames, the first frame he won fairly comfortably, and the second frame a lot closer, but Mark had some good luck. Belmont B were 3-0 up and hoping to make it four. Rich Goldby was in front, but ‘grinder’ Bailey fluked three out of the last four colours to win a frame. In the match between Shaun Gebbie, who fluked the first frame against Arron Vaughan by potting the green and coming off seven cushions to finish perfect on the brown to win the first frame, but Arron took the second. Mr ‘Consistent’ Sturmy Archer won two close frames against Miffa Smith.

In the David Wain Division 1, draw specialists Rileys B surprised everybody by beating high flying Belmont C 6-2. For Rileys, young Adam Bridges did well to take a frame off the consistent Paul Eaton. Mark King got back to winning ways by beating Lee Turner in two highly entertaining frames. Andy Speirs was also playing well to beat Dickie Davis. Ade Harper and Kev Ramsell shared two scrappy frames.

Ivanhoe C got their promotion campaign back on track with a 7-1 thrashing of Drakelow. For Ivanhoe, Gaz Dolman got them off to a great start, with two convincing frames against the unlucky Mark Baxter, which included a 32 break. Two entertaining frames between Steve Cockerham and Jim Marcer which went Steve’s way, but only after he knocked in a 30 break against Jim, who was playing his first league match for a number of years, played well. Pat Ryan saved Drakelow’s embarrassment by taking the only frame on the black against Graham Measures, after needing snookers. Darren Wilson won both frames against Tony Coleman, but he did have a little bit of good running.

SDSC C got back to winning ways with a very good away win against Stapenhill B 7-1. Stapenhill’s John Richardson got them off to a good start by making a 32 break against Adam Harrisdon, and winning the frame, but Adam took the next with a 25 break, and after that, it was all downhill for Stapenhill. Lee Wright was in good form to take both frames off Barry Waller. Greg Britton then lost both frames to Ben Davies, who played some good snooker at times. Greg has not dropped two frames very often this season. Captain, Pete Maguire, was back in the team, and they seem to be a strong team when he is playing. Pete did well, by beating Cliff Britton.

SDSC D drew with Burton Cons B, but feel rather disappointed in the score line, as they lost four black ball games, which was the difference between winning and drawing., and all four matches were drawn. Carl White, for SDSC, knocked in a well constructed 46 break against James Hart.

In the Rileys Division 2, competition for the third promotional place is hotting up, third placed Woodville B beat fifth placed Newhall B 5-3, but it was a close run thing. Newhall got off to an excellent start, with Callum Grey making easy work of Martin Ganley, and also making a 35 break. Carl Glover, also for Newhall, took his first frame off Brian Alford. Newhall were 3-0 up, and that was it for Newhall. Brian Alford got his act together, and won the second frame on the brown ball. Trevor Heath played two steady frames by gradually accumulating points, and not allowing John Laud any opportunity to get his cue arm going. In the second frame, with John needing a snooker on the pink, he unfortunately potted it. Woodville’s comeback was complete when captain David Budworth beat Joe McInulty on the black and pink respectively, despite breaks of 26 and 21 by Joe.

Fourth placed Swad Cons C beat their club rivals, Swad Cons D 6-2. Richard Brown, playing because Bob Birch is on holiday, may be difficult to drop after making a very good 59 break in beating the D team player Nig Duggins. Gaz Ward brought the scores level by beating Craig Wilson with the help of a 27 break. It was left to the C team’s Matt Newbold and Colin Cope to win all of their frames against Dave Bodie and Scott Gee respectively for victory.

Another good win for Tutbury C 7-1 against the basement team, Swad Cons B. Congratulations to Tutbury’s Mark Storr for his first 2-0 victory of the season against Steve Jones. Steve was rather unlucky with the run of the balls being against him in both frames. John Peto and John Griffin fought out two black ball games, with John Peto taking the first and John Griffin with a 22 clearance, which included doubling the black into the middle bag in the final frame of the evening. Graham Smith rolled back a few years with his snooker play against Pete Fearn.

A fair result between Rolleston B and SDSC E was a draw, with all the players making a draw. A special mention has to go to Andy Jefferies, who made a 32 break against Lee Cooke, after potting a very difficult red with all the other reds in the open.

A surprising result was Belmont C losing at home to Alrewas C 3-5. Belmont’s Josh Gebbie made a 36 break to draw with Colin Wood. Terry Bosworth and Nigel Edwards battled it out for a share of the spoils. Dougie Lees and Rob McMeecham drew in two scrappy frames. The Alrewas match winner was Karl Hancock, who won the match against Dave Press, for victory which included a 38 break.

Alrewas D tightened their grip at the top of the division by thrashing fellow club mates 7-1. Colin Kinsella, with the aid of a 35 break, was too good for Brian Aldridge. Dave ‘Fiery Fred’ Trueman had to share the spoils with Tom Smith, in two very long, and drawn out games. Carl ‘The Pottinator’ Poulton, was in superb form tonight with some of his pots amazing his team mates against John Hill. Ian Hiley played well to beat Tony Trueman, but Dave Trueman will certainly have bragging rights in the Trueman household.

Alrewas A had another good win, this time against Woodville C 6-2. Will Sherratt was in particular good form, beating Ben Woodward. For Woodville, Richard Thornewill played well, taking a frame off Roy Sherratt. Alan Wilson was in top form against the unlucky Alan Shuttleworth, who lost both frames. Jim Gardner, for Woodville, was playing well, and he was unlucky to drop a frame to John Sharpe.