2011-12: Week 24

Another good win for the league leaders in the Just Wood Premier Division when Burton Cons A beat relegation threatened SDSC B 6-2 away. The Cons got off to a dream start with Mat Milnes taking both frames off an out of sorts Andy Bloor. Cons skipper, Mick Simpkins also had two winning frames against Brian Bloor. To make things even worse for the Bloor family, Owen Jones, who is starting to play well, beat Garton Bloor with some ease. The only good side for SDSC was in the form of Simon Orpwood, who was in cracking form to beat Stuart Roberts, who has not dropped many frames of late.

A good win at home by Willington B beating Belmont A 5-3. Belmont got off to a good start with Sturmy Archer winning both frames in style against John Hardy. Andy Jenkins then levelled the score by taking both frames off Belmont’s new player, Brett Craddock. Tony Clements was in excellent form, taking both frames off Graham Bailey, who did not have a great deal of good running. Willington got the one frame they needed for victory thanks to Steve Gaunt drawing with Shaun Gebbie.

Newhall A really turned on the style against a slightly understrength Tutbury A, beating them 7-1. It is certainly a long time since this team has lost so heavily. Fran McInulty, Newhall’s skipper, was in superb form against Daz Lester, making a 47 break in the first frame, and a 40 break in the second, giving Daz very little opportunity to get his cue arm going. Craig Keen got the only frame for Tutbury, preventing a whitewash against Mark Satchwell – two good frames of snooker played in the right spirit. Adam McInulty, who is currently playing some exceptional snooker, did not give the unlucky Joe Docksey any chances to show off his potting skills, with breaks of 31, 43 and 36 to easily win both frames and go home happy. Wayne Brewin than took both frames off Paul Atterbury, with some steady potting. Can Newhall catch Burton Cons? They are ten points behind, and both have four games left – could be a very tight finish, especially as they still have to play each other.

Belmont B and Willington A drew in a well contested match. Belmont’s Mick Morris got them off to a good start, by taking both frames off Gary Barker. Mick capitalised on Gary’s mistakes. Belmont’s skipper, Arron Vaughan lost his first frame to Jan Pawlazyck, who was in exceptional potting form, making a break of 33 to win it. Arron tightened his game to win the second frame. Willington’s Wayne Pieria made up for lost time after missing the bus. In the first frame, he made a 46 break against Rich Goldby, and in the second frame, Wayne could do nothing wrong. Who was going to win between Miffa Smith and Bill Stewart to give their team victory? Well neither, they drew, and the match was drawn.

Rileys A got a draw against middle of the table SDSC A. For Rileys, Martin Riddell was in very good form to beat Steve Ayre, who has been their ‘form’ player over the last few games. Chris Dewey for SDSC was in a potting mood against Michael Dewsbury, by winning both frames with a bit to spare. Zaheer, Rileys captain, felt he should have won both frames after missing frame ball, which gave John Davis the opportunity to win the frame. Michael Lomas and Andy Goldingay shared two scrappy frames.

Rileys C got a hard earned win against Woodville A in the David Wain Insurance Division 1, by winning away 3-5. Woodville’s most talented player, Andrew Grainger, drew with Paul Fox in two closely fought frames. Next on was the match of the captain’s. Simon Mansfield, for Woodville, and Adam Farrington of Rileys, both players had good opportunities to win both frames, but ended up all square. Paul Slater dominated the frame he won, but allowed Jerry Hall to take the second. Ged Mayne, for Rileys, was the star player, winning both frames in some style against the unfortunate Lee Wood.

One of the draw specialists in this division, Burton Cons D, are at it again, this time drawing with second placed Ivanhoe C. The wily old campaigner, Jim Jennings, was again in good form, taking a frame off Gaz Dolman, with some excellent safety play, and the odd bit of potting. Steve Castledine put the Cons 3-1 up at the turn by playing some steady snooker against Jerry Cook. Ivanhoe’s fight back started with Steve Cockerham taking a hard earned frame from Ian Shrive. Ian played extremely well to win his frame. The Ivanhoe fight back was completed by captain Graham Measures taking both frames against Mick Buckland.

An excellent home win for SDSC D against another draw specialist, Rileys B 7-1. Lee Sherratt had got his cueing arm in good form, by beating an out of touch Adie Harper. Captain, David Wain, led again by example, by beating Adam Bridges with some very good potting. Ryan Gilmore was back in the team, winning against Andy Speirs, with the help of a 31 break. Andy Rice let the side down by drawing with Mark King, preventing the whitewash for Rileys B.

Rileys D showed their class against a relegated Drakelow, by beating them 6-2. Mike Flanagan was in good form against Alan Orpwood, who appeared to have left his cue in Poland, to take the first frame, but Alan had other ideas in frame two, knocking in a very good 31 break, to win the frame on the pink. Steve Brimley won the first frame with something to spare, but in the second frame, it was quite a tussle with Mark Baxter who, with a little bit of favourable running on the blue, could have won it. Mark Stirling took the first frame against Pat Ryan. Pat tightened his game up and beat Mark on the black, to win the second frame. Micky Tonks was in determined mood, and comfortably won both frames against Tony Coleman, knocking in a 24 break in the second frame.

Ivanhoe D improved their chances of staying up by beating Burton Cons C 8-0.

Rolleston A and Belmont C drew in a middle of the table battle. Bob Sanders and Dickie Davies drew in two scrappy frames of snooker. Rolleston’s Bob Tubey was in good form, taking both frames off Kevin Ramsell, who had very little running of the balls. Kev Norris dropped both frames to Lee Turner, who was striking the balls very cleanly, and missed very little. Tony Rushton and Paul Eaton both needed to win both frames for victory, but neither of them could and so they shared the honours for a draw.

In the Rileys Division Two, in another inter club derby between Alrewas C and B teams, it was the C team who have the bragging rights. The pick of the matches of the night was between Karl Hancox and Tom Smith. Karl, for the C team, was in good form, although benefiting from some of Tom’s errors in the first frame, made a break of 20, and in the second, a well developed 45 break with some excellent positional pots. The B team got off to a good start, thanks to John Hills beating Nigel Edwards, who was in good form. Colin Wood played some good snooker to beat Brian Aldridge. Rob McMeecham did a similar job on the other Brian Eccleston.

Newhall B had a good home win against Swad Cons D 6-2. For Newhall, Callum Gray was again in good form, this time against Dave Bodie, winning both frames. Jonny Howlett and Gaz Ward both shared two entertaining frames where both players had opportunities to take both frames. Joe McInulty had to be on top form, to take both frames against Nig Duggins. The two Carls’, Glover and Pitcher, drew in two scrappy frames.

In the top of the table clash between the two Alrewas teams A and D, it was the league leaders who came away with a 6-2 victory. Match of the night was between A team’s young talent, in the shape of Phil Marklew and Colin Kinsella. In the first frame, Phil made a superb 72 break, with some superb potting and excellent cue ball control. By all accounts, a hundred plus break was on. In the second frame, Colin recovered after sitting out the first frame, by taking the second. Phil Marklew’s 72 break is the highest in this division so far, and I cannot see it being beaten. Dave ‘Fiery Fred’ Trueman was at it again, by winning another two frames against Tom Sharp. Carl ‘The Potinator’ Poulton was also in good form, beating Tom’s father John, in two good frames of snooker. Alan Wilson and Ian Hiley battled it out, but ended up honours even. By the sound of it this match was good quality snooker, and both teams are worthy of their positions in the league.

In the match for the wooden spoon between Swad Cons B and Woodville C, it was Woodville who won 6-2 away. Woodville got off to a dream start, with Ben Woodward taking both frames off Peter Fearn, who is back in the team after an injury, which included a 21 break. Luke Hudson then took both frames off John Griffin to give them a 4-0 lead at the turn, which is a rather unusual position for them. Alan Shuttleworth then beat Reg Shorthouse 2-0, which was a good result for Alan, as Reg has been playing some decent snooker of late. Jon Petcher improved the scoreline for the Cons, by taking two frames off Terry Eyley.

Woodville B kept up the pressure on Alrewas A by beating Tutbury C 6-2. Bill Davidson and Mark Storr had two good frames of snooker, with honours shared. Trevor Heath dropped a frame to Graham Smith in two keenly contested frames. Dave Budworth was playing well to beat John Peto. Mick Ganley, of World Snooker, was making a rare appearance, he managed a 30 break in beating Graham Fisher.

Belmont D and Rolleston B drew, this certainly was a game of two halves. For Belmont, Josh Gebbie was potting most balls to win against Tim James, then the experienced campaigner, Terry Bosworth, took both frames off Steve Atkin, then the tide turned, and Rolleston’s Lee Cooke, with some very good potting, beat Brian Cutting. The comeback was complete, when Neil Cheadle beat Dougie Lees.

Another good win for Willington C, this time away to SDSC E 6-2. The Powermen had a good start, thanks to Steve Lane beating Andy Jefferies. Andy must be a bit disappointed to have lost as he made a 31 break. Ray Stretton, for SDSC then levelled the scores by taking both frames off Steve Butterworth in two rather scrappy frames. Willington’s Taylor Richardson had two close frames against Phil Maddocks, but managed to win them both. Darren Harris then completed a miserable night for SDSC, by beating Tony Mitchell.