2011-12: Week 27

In the Just Wood Premier Division what a match between Burton Cons A and Newhall A, who are currently first and second respectively, who served up a real treat of a match with four breaks over 30 and two breaks over 70. This must have been a good match to watch. This match also shows that we have some real quality and excellent break builders within the league.

Jonathan Fletcher was in great form, after recently winning the Evershed Vase Final, he beat Fran McInulty and made a 72 break in quick fire time with some great potting. Another cracking match on the other table between Mat Milnes and Mark Satchwell. Mat made a 32 break to win the first frame, then back came Mark with the highest break of the night, a superbly constructed 77. Nothing could split John Shilton and Adam McInulty, they both won a frame, and also made a 31 break to win their frame. Owen Jones, with some steady snooker and good safety play to beat Martin Hicks to give the Cons victory.

Belmont A, for the second home match running, flew out of the blocks and going 4-0 up in no time against Rileys A. Graham Bailey again continued his up and down season by making light work of his opponent, the unlucky Tim Rushton. Graham also made a 31 break. Sturmy Archer has been Belmont’s most consistent and outstanding player of the season, showed young Michael Lomas how to play snooker with breaks of 31 and 37 respectively. Zaheer started Rileys fightback by winning both frames in some style against Brett Craddock. It was left to Belmont’s captain, Shaun Gebbie to get the one frame for victory against Michael Dewsbury, with an outstanding pot on the black to win the first frame. Michael battled back well to take the second frame on the colours.

Ivanhoe A kept up their rich vein of form by thrashing Willington B 8-0. Andy Marriott was again in good form, this time against Andy Jenkins, knocking in a very good 48 break. Ian Rennocks was also playing well to beat John Hardy with the help of a 30 break. Captain Kirk struggled to overcome the determined Tony Clements just managed it. In the second frame, Mick was 33 behind but gradually clawed the points back, and nicked it by fluking the pink and cross doubling the black. Antony Moore overcame the dogged resistance of Steve Gaunt to win both frames.

SDSC A and Tutbury B drew their match in a night of good breaks. For SDSC Andy Goldingay made a very good 43 break, but could only draw his match against Dave Mabbott. Two good frames of snooker was enjoyed between Steve Ayre and Steve Mabbott. In the first frame Steve Ayre knocked in a 40 break, and in the second frame Steve Mabbott made a 30 break to win it. For the Tutters, Chris Mabbott was in too good a form for Chris Dewey, taking both frames with the help of a 46 break in the first frame. John Davis earned SDSC a draw by beating the Tutters ‘Silver Fox’ Dave Powell, which included a 30 break.

A good draw away from home for relegation threatened Ivanhoe B against Tutbury A. Ivanhoe B’s find of the season Mark Muir, took both frames off seasoned campaigner Alan Davies, and in the second frame Mark was 36 points behind, but came back very well to win on the black ball. Joe Docksey beat Brendon Mattley to level the scores. Joe seems to be growing in confidence as the season progresses. Ivanhoe’s John Skellett used all of his years of experience to beat Paul Atterbury. It was left to Tutbury’s Daz Lester to take both frames off Mark Pickering in two entertaining frames for the draw.

Things are not looking too good for SDSC B who lost very heavily to Willington A 7-1. For the ‘Powermen’, Wayne Piera won both frames against Brian Bloor in two entertaining frames. Simon Orpwood of SDSC took the only frame against Gaz Barker, to prevent the whitewash. SDSC would certainly be in a bigger mess without Simon’s frame wins. Jan Pawlazych beat Andy Bloor with some steady snooker play. Bill Stewart then did a similar job on Garton Bloor.

In the David Wain Insurance Division 1, the promotion places are not as clear cut as they appeared to be a few weeks ago. With fourth placed SDSC C beating Rileys D 5-3, who appear to have hit a bit of a sticky patch. Adam Harrison was in good form in the first frame against Steve Brimley, making a 40 break, but Steve reacted well in the second frame by knocking in a 22 break to win the frame. Ben Davies and Rileys new boy James Foy, shared their frames with Ben making a 27 break, and James making a 25 break. Henry Tomas was the star player for SDSC by taking both frames off Micky Tonks. It was left to the young talents of Harry Farrell to get the one frame for victory, by drawing with Rich Foster.

Second placed Ivanhoe C struggled to beat SDSC D 5-3. Darren Wilson managed to share the spoils with Carl White, who can play a bit! Steve Cockerham and Lee Sherratt, two very talented potters, battled it out for a well earned draw. Captain Graham Measures, was the difference between the two teams on the night, taking both frames against the unlucky Rob Press. Jerry Cook for Ivanhoe, got the all important frame for victory, by drawing with David Wain.

Third placed Rileys C seem to be struggling not only for form, but for players. It amazes me that a team fighting for promotion can only raise two players, but credit to Paul Fox and Adam Farrington, for turning up and playing their matches – it shows that these guys are only interested in playing – well done. Unfortunately, they lost 7-1 at home to relegation threatened Stapenhill B.

A rather heavy defeat for relegated Drakelow, losing 0-8 at home to a rampant Rolleston team. Tony Rushton, in beating Jim Marcer, made a 31 break. Keiran Waddell won two scrappy frames against Mark Baxter. Bob Tubey was too good on the night for Pat Ryan. Kev Norris played very well to beat Alan Orpwood.

Burton Cons C lost to stablemates Burton Cons B. A special mention for Ian Polifco, who took both frames off former snooker reporter, Mick Hickebottom. For the B team, Simon Smith was in a bit of a hurry against Geoff Wood, as it took only 25 minutes to play both frames, with Simon knocking in breaks of 34, 34, 30 and also a 20 break as well – some match!

Rileys B had a good win against relegation threatened Woodville A 5-3. This was partly down to Ade Harper taking both frames against Paul Slater, in two very close matches. Mark King and Clint Sherratt shared two entertaining frames, with neither player deserving to win both frames. Kevin Chilton played well to take a frame off Andrew Grainger with some excellent potting. Tim Hodgkinson and Lee Wood shared two scrappy frames.

Belmont C beat Ivanhoe D 5-3. Belmont are still fighting for the final promotion spot. Lee Turner and Barry Fieldsend drew, with Barry making a 32 break to clinch his frame win. Kevin Ramsell and Tim Bale also shared two entertaining frames. Not for the first time this season, Mark Sherratt knocking in a substantial break, this time it was 67, which was started off with a massive fluke. Mark won both frames against Jack Bale. Dickie Davies was also in good form, taking both frames off the experienced George Cawkwell.

In the Rileys Division Two, Alrewas D aka the Raptors, confirmed they are champions by beating fifth in the table, Swad Cons C very convincingly. Colin Kinsella got them off to a great start by easily beating new boy Vince Draper. Carl ‘the Potinator’ Poulton had Matt Newbold sitting in his seat for most of his two frames. Carl knocked in a 24 break too. Ian Hiley was again in an aggressive snooker mood, by taking both frames off Bob Birch, with breaks of 28 and 41 in respective frames. For the Cons, Craig Wilson was the only player to win a frame, preventing a whitewash against John Edwards.

Alrewas A are still hanging on to the runners up slot by beating Tutbury C 8-0 away from home. Phil Marklew was again in astonishing form, beating Graham Fisher. Will Sherrett did not mess about either, beating Maurice Dawkins. Alan Wilson beat John Peto in two scrappy frames. John Sharpe was in fine form to do the double over Mark Storr.

Alrewas C continued their good form by beating Willington C who have been getting some good results of late. For Alrewas, Karl Hancox was again in good form, this time against Darren Harris. In the first frame, Karl won it in some style, helped by a break of 29. The second frame was more difficult for Karl, although Darren fought well, but could not break down Karl’s resolve. Nigel Edwards took both frames off Matt Rowley fairly comfortably, so at the turn they were 4-0 up. Alrewas captain, Colin Wood took the first frame against Steve Butterworth on the black, to give Alrewas victory. Steve beat Colin on the black in the second frame. Steve Lane for Willington, added a bit more respectability to the score line, by beating Nick Swash in two very close frames.

In the Swad Cons inter club derby, it was the D team who came out victors against the B team 7-1. It was unfortunate that the B team could not build on last weeks victory. Scott Gee had little trouble in beating Pete Fearn. Mark Egan had two very close frames against John Griffin, which was only decided on the last few colours in both frames. Gaz Ward won both frames against Reg Shorthouse. According to the steward, Reg is destined for higher things. The B team captain, Jon Petcher staved off the whitewash by drawing with Carl Pitchers.

A welcome draw for Woodville C against SDSC E, with all the players drawing.

A good away win for Newhall B 6-2 against Alrewas B, keeps them on the edge of the promotion race. Newhall’s captain, Carl Glover again did the business, this time against Tony Trueman in two very competitive frames. Callum Gray also played well to beat Brian Aldridge. Newhall’s inspirational player Joe McInulty, beat Tom Smith with the help of a 31 break. Alrewas’ John Hill, beat Mick Stubbs to put a little bit of respectability to the score.

Woodville B are still hanging on to the third promotional place after a very good win away to Rolleston B 7-1. Woodville’s Trevor ‘The Hit Man’ Heath was in complete control of his match against Lee Cooke, who did not have a look-in. Trevor also made a 33 break as well. Bill Davidson was playing some very steady snooker to beat the experienced John Ward. What an interesting frame it was when Tim James won against the very experienced Brian Alford. With only the colours from green onwards left, the green was hanging over the green pocket, and the brown over the middle pocket, and Tim plays a shot, and the cue ball goes into the pocket. Brian places the cue ball in baulk, goes to have a drink of water, dries his hands and pots the brown – foul! He had forgotten the green had to be potted first – that’s experience for you. David Budworth won his first frame with a 35 break, but only just won the second on a re-spotted black with Neil going in off.