2011-12: Week 8

In the Just Wood Premier division, Burton Cons A showed their supremacy in this division by beating one of their closest rivals, Belmont A 6-2.  Owen Jones knocked in a 45 break to win his frame, and then Sturmy Archer, for Belmont, knocked in a 42 break to win his frame.  Stuart Roberts drew 1-1 with Steve Burton, who had replaced Graham Bailey.  Cons captain, Matty Milnes made short work of Shaun Gebbie, knocking in breaks of 62 and 76, one in either frame.  Matty’s 76 is one of the highest in the league so far.  Jonathan Fletcher also made his mark on the (in form) Mark Press, by beating him 2-0 which included a 43 break.

In the inter club derby between Tutbury A and Tutters B, the bragging writes were with Tutbury A who won 6-2.  For the 2nd week in a row, the A team went 4-0 thanks to Craig Keen and Alan Davies.  Craig, fresh from his tv appearance, produced some fireworks of his own, in 2 cracking frames against Dave Mabbott infact, one of his team mates said he was ‘on fire’ so well done Craig.  In the other match between Alan Davies and ‘silver fox’ Powell, with Alan coming out the winner in the battle of the veterans.  Tutters tried to fight back through Chris Mabbott who, in his first frame, never missed a pot, knocking in a well constructed 38 break, but in the 2nd frame, it was just the opposite, with the A team new boy, Paul Atterbury who potted so well that his opponent conceded with 2 reds still left on the table.  Daz Lester and Steve Mabbott fought out a drawn match.

Newhall’s march for the title continues, as Stapenhill felt the force of it by losing 7-1.  Newhall’s two outstanding performers where Mark Satchwell who, by winning his match against Andy Tomlinson, knocked in a 38 break, and Adam McNulty, who easily took both frames off Chris Gould.  Fran McNulty, although not on top of his game, struggled to beat Tim Knopik 2-0.  The odd man out for Newhall was Wayne Brewin, who drew with Steve Ford.  By all account Steve had his Share of the run of the balls.  In the match between Willington A and Ivanhoe A, the power men had the edge in this top six encounter, by winning 5-3.  In two excellent frames between Wayne Piera and Andy Marriott, Wayne knocked in a 38 break to win his frame, then Andy made a 31 break to win his. 

Bill Stewart and Ian Rennock’s draw was a tight match.  The difference in this match was Gaz Barker beating Ivanhoe’s captain, Michael Kirk 2-0 in another close game/  David Hayman and Antony Moore also drew with Moore knocking in a 25 break.  Over the last few weeks, Ivanhoe’s title challenge has slipped a little.

SDSC B against Willington B was, on paper, expected to be a close game, but it turned out not to be, with Willington thrashing them 1-7.  For SDSC only Andy Bloor won a frame against John Hardy in 2 close matches.  For Willington’s Andy Jenkins, who comfortably beat Brian Bloor.  Tony Clements was on top form to beat Simon Orpwood also, Steve Gaunt did similar to Garton Bloor.

In the David Wain division, Burton Cons C had a battle on their hands this week against a revitalised SDSC C, which ended in a draw.  Paul Davies and Adam Harrison battled it out for a draw.  Henry Tomas, for SDSC got his customary frame a week, by drawing with Mick Buckland.  For the Cons, Steve Castledine played very well to take both frames off Lee Wright.  For SDSC, Pete Maguire did the same to a rather shocked Ian Shrive.

Stapenhill B, against Burton Cons B, was another drawn game.  Stapenhill’s man of the night was John Richardson, who took to good frames off James Hart, while on the table for the Cons, Dave Plunkett, was in terrific form, making breaks of 21, 25 and 32 in his demolition of Stan Piechowicz.  Greg Britton managed to get a frame out of Jason Anguish.  Barry Waller and Tom Egginton both played out two leisurely frames for a draw.

In the top of table clash between the Rileys C and D teams, it was the league leaders Rileys C who came out on top by winning 6-2.  The C team got off to a good start being 3-1 at the turn, thanks to some superb potting by Ryan Gibbs in both frames against Kev Chilton.  Adam Farrington also did well to get a draw against Mike Flanagan.  C team’s mister consistent, Paul Fox, took both frames off Mark Stirling, with some steady snooker.  Jason Hall also doing well against Micky Tonks, earning a well deserved draw. 

Rileys B are getting better each week, as they beat the unlucky Burton Cons C 7-1, with Paul Brooks’ one frame for the Cons against Adam Bridges, preventing a whitewash.  Andy Speirs for Rileys, played well to beat Ian Protheroe.  Mark King, who appears to be enjoying his snooker at the moment, beat Gary Wood.  Nigel Tomlinson did well to beat Paul’s father Nathan 2-0.

Another good victory for Ivanhoe C against Belmont C 7-1.  For Ivanhoe, Gaz Dolman was in top form once again this season, beating Lee Turner, and in the process  knocking in a 38 break.  A 38 break seems popular this week as Steve Cockeram is another of Ivanhoe’s consistant players, taking both frames off Kev Ramsell.  Darren Wilson played some good safety on the way to beating Richard Davis.  Graham Measures was the only Ivanhoe player to drop a frame to Paul Eaton. 

SDSC D and Ivanhoe D fought out a well earned draw, with each player winning a frame.

In the Rileys division, Alrewas D were in awesome form against Woodville C who they beat 7-1.  Colin Kinsella continued off from last week making a 45 break in very quick time against the unfortunate Alan Shuttleworth.  Carl Poulton chipped away against Ben Woodward and just about deserved his 2-0 victory in a tight match.  Ian Hiley and Terry Eyley traded frames.  Terry took a great frame of snooker on the pink, to prevent a Woodville whitewash.  Dave Trueman found Luke Hudson a difficult opponent, but scraped through.

Swad Cons C gave Alrewas C a lesson in potting the balls, for Alrewas, Rob McMeecham got off to a good start by holding Craig Wilson, but it was downhill after that.  Bob Birch took both frames off Colin Wood.  Matt Newbold, in beating Gary Bower, knocked in a break of 22.

Woodville B got back to winning ways by beating Swad Cons D 6-2.  For Woodville, Bill Davidson continued his good form by beating Dan Petcher, and the result never looked in doubt.  Brian Alford won his first frame quite comfortably against John Griffin, but in the 2nd frame, the wheels came off for Brian, allowing John, deservedly, to take the second.  David Budworth is back to form, easily winning both frames against John Petcher.  In the second frame, Petcher conceded with 4 reds still left on the table.  Swad Cons ‘star man’ was Kevin Starkey, who played really well to draw with Trevor ‘hit man’ Heath.

In the draw game between Belmont D and Newhall B, Dave Press for Belmont, won both frames against the unlucky Jay Haywood.  Carl Glover for Newhall, did exactly the same to the experienced Brian Cutting.  The rest of the frames were drawn.

In a very closely fought match between Rolleston B and Willington C, a draw was the fairest result.  Lee Cooke of Rolleston, lost the first frame to Loz Kenerson, and in the 2nd frame, Lee potted pink and black to level his match.  Neil Cheadle of Rolleston, played steady snooker throughout his match to win 2-0.  Steve Lane, at last showing off his true potential, by taking both frames off Steve Atkins, to earn Willington a draw. 

A draw between Tutbury and SDSC E saw Mark Storr, one of Tutbury’s consistant players, draw with Andy Jefferies, then Graham Smith rolled back the years to beat Ray Bancroft, and on the opposite table, Ray Stretton for SDSC, did the same to Graham Fisher.