2012-13: Week 10

In the Just Wood Premier Division, Ivanhoe C found out what it is like to play one of the top teams in the division, when they lost at home to Burton Cons A 7-1. Gaz Dolman did very well to draw with the Cons prolific potter Mat Milnes, in two very quick frames. After that, the Cons didn’t drop a frame. Darren Coady potted well to beat Jerry Cook. Owen Jones was playing solid snooker to win against Graham Measures. Not to be out done, Stuart Roberts showed he could play a bit, with a convincing display of potting to beat Darren Wilson.
SDSC B seem to enjoy playing the top teams as they drew with second placed Newhall A away. Newhall’s Wayne Brewin got them off to a fine start, with some good pots to win fairly comfortably against Garton Bloor. Mark Press was in good form, making a 40 break to win his frame against Simon Orpwood, but Simon came back well to take his customary frame. Andrew Bloor was SDSC’s ‘star’ player, as he played well within himself in beating Adam McInulty with some excellent pots. Fran McInulty and Brian Bloor deservedly share their frames, with some fine snooker by both players.
Tutbury A had a good away win, beating Belmont A 5-3. For Tutbury, Colin Bell was very unlucky to lose both frames against Josh Gebbie. Colin lost the first, when Josh fluked the black to win it. Rich Goldby and Alan Davies had two good matches, with Rich potting well in the first frame, and Alan finding the pace of the table to his liking, won the second, with the help of a 34 break. Although 1-3 down at the turn, Tutbury seemed in a more determined mood than of a late, and managed to turn the score line on it’s head, thanks to Craig Keen playing some solid snooker to beat Shaun Gebbie. Daz Lester then took both frames off Graham Bailey, with some good potting aided by a well made 30 break. This was Tutbury’s second away win on the trot. They are always more difficult to beat when they have the likes of Craig Keen and Alan Davies in the team with their wealth of experience.
SDSC A had a very good home win against Belmont B, winning 7-1. By all accounts, the score was rather flattering to SDSC, as all the frames were close, and some good snooker was played by both sides. Steve Ayre was in fine form, to take both frames against Michael Lomas. The consistent Andy Goldingay won both frames against Brett Craddock, with a bit to spare, which included a 34 break. John Davis, who is playing some of his best snooker at the moment, was at it again, making a 31 break, in beating Miffa Smith. Belmont’s Arron Vaughan, managed a well deserved draw with Chris Dewey, to prevent the whitewash.
The current ‘form’ team, Tutbury B, had another excellent win at home to Riley’s A, winning 7-1. The Tutters were given a dream start, thanks to Steve Hathaway and Steve Mabbott winning the first four frames. Steve Mabbott was in fine form, beating Ryan Palmer. Steve Hathaway did a similar job on Mark Stirling. Dave Mabbott won his first frame against Micky Tonks for a Tutters victory, but Micky came back to win the second on the pink. The first frame between Chris Mabbott and Ade Harper was a rather one sided affair in Chris’s favour, with Ade conceding on the colours. The second frame was completely different. Ade, with some good potting and safety play, went 45 points in front, only for Chris to stage a great fight back to win, by clearing the colours to win the frame.
A very good home win for Ivanhoe B, as they hammered Willington A 7-1 for their best win of the season so far. They were given a great start, thanks to Brendan Mattley playing some impressive snooker to beat Dave Hayman, which included a fine 32 break. On the other table John Skellett, who is not a regular team player, played very well to win two hard fought frames against Jan Pawlazych, both on the black, putting Ivanhoe 4-0 ahead at the turn. Mark Pickering finally got his season off to a start, with some sublime potting against Bill Stewart, winning fairly easily in both frames. Jason Pickering seemed ‘on fire’ in his match with Dean Johnson, and should have won both frames with ease, but a determined colours clearance by Dean snatched the first frame. A great win for Ivanhoe, who are on a bit of a roll.
Willington B lost at home 6-2 against Ivanhoe A. For Willington, Tony Clements played some very good snooker in beating Ian Rennocks with some fine potting, after that, Willington didn’t win another frame. Despite Andy Jenkins making a 31 break against Daniel Brown, who was making his first appearance for Ivanhoe, it was not good enough to prevent Daniel winning both frames. Michael Kirk won both frames fairly comfortably against John Hardy. Antony Moore and Steve Gaunt played out two close frames with some fine safety play, but both frames went to Antony. 
In The David Wain Insurance Division 1, Riley’s B had an a very good home win against one of the ‘form’ teams in this division, Newhall B, winning 5-3. Riley’s captain, and man of the match, Adam Farrington, was in superb form, taking both frames against Martin Hicks, who had previously not lost a frame all season. Adam was supported firstly by Zaheer, who drew with Mark Anslow, then by Paul Fox, who drew with Newhall’s Mr Relaible, Carl Glover. Another draw between Ryan Gibbs and Callum Gray gave Riley’s a well deserved win.
Burton Cons B drew with SDSC D, who are the draw specialists in this division. Dave Shipton and Lee Sherratt drew in two fine games of snooker, with good potting by both players. Andy Rice put SDSC in front, winning two close frames with Tom Egginton. As usual, Simon Smith did not hang around, beating Danny Collins with some fine long pots. Jason Anguish and David Wain drew in a dour two frames.
Alrewas B drew with Woodville S&S A, in a match that could have gone either way. In the drawn match between Roy Sherratt and Alan Orpwood, we had two contrasting frames, the first frame was a struggle for both players, with Roy winning it on the black. In the second frame, Alan was playing very confidently, and missed very little, such that Roy conceded on the green, although he did not have the best of running in this frame. For Woodville, Jim Marcer was again in fine form, taking the first frame against Will Sherratt, but he slipped up when potting the final red, allowing Will to take full advantage, and a share of the spoils. In the match between Alan Wilson and Pat Ryan, in a game off missed opportunities, it was Pat who made the most of it. In a close first frame, Alan only needed the pink to win it, which was a straight pink into the green bag from about a foot away, he missed it, and Pat potted the pink, and a difficult black, to win the frame. The second frame followed a similar pattern to the first, with Pat taking it on the pink. Phil Marklew was not at his best in the first frame against Tony Coleman, but still managed to win. In the second frame, he found his potting eye, and Tony conceded on the yellow. Thus earning his side a draw.
In the match between two of the top teams in the division, SDSC D and Burton Cons C, it ended all square, where all the matches were drawn. Henry Tomas and Paul Davis shared two good frames of snooker between them. There was two quality frames of snooker played on the other table between Adam Harrison and Mick Buckland. Adam made a good 25 break to win the first frame, but in the second frame, he had no answer to Mick’s potting, as he made breaks of 38 and 35. Harry Farrel did well to draw with the vastly experienced Jim Jennings. In the final two frames of the evening between Pete Maquire and Ian Shrive, it was a rather close and tense affair. Pete was 20 points ahead, with only 18 points on the table, when he went in off the blue, letting Ian back into the game to snatch the frame. In the second frame, Pete needed a snooker, with only pink and black remaining, he managed to get the snooker and take the frame.
Rolleston A surprisingly got thrashed at home to the resurgent Alrewas A 7-1. Bob Sanders and Dave Trueman shared the frames in a long drawn out match, which was helped by a break of 23 by Bob. The Raptors Colin Kinsella, was in fine potting form, to easily beat Kev Norris. Rolleston’s Kieron Waddle, had no answer to the superb potting of Carl Poulton, who made a 27 break, with the possibility of more. Hot shot Hiley was full of confidence, as he out played Bob Tubey in the potting department, in both frames.
It was drinks all round as Stapenhill B won their first match of the season against Willington C 5-3. Bryan Sharratt and Trevor Heath had two very competitive frames, which quite fairly ended in a draw. Gordon Jennings found a bit of form as he drew with Willington’s new star Johnathan Hogarth. Stapenhill’s star was Colin Britton who won both frames in another close match against Bill Davidson. Bill is not having the best of run’s at the moment. Stan Piechowich got the winning frame for Stapenhill as he drew with Dave Budworth in a rather scrappy match.
In the Riley’s Division 2, Alrewas C had a very good win, beating Rolleston B 8-0. By all accounts, the the score line was not a true reflection of the match, apparently there were eight closely contested frames. According to Alrewas captain, Colin Wood, Rolleston will never play as well and end up with nothing. Rob McMeecham got them off to a fine start, winning both frames against John Ward. The two best frames of the night were between Karl Hancox and Neil Cheadle. Karl took the lead in both frames with nice potting, but Neil responded well in both frames, making a 24 break in each, which was not good enough to win either frame. In the first frame, Neil scored 65 points and lost. Colin Wood was again in fine form, beating Dave Bentley. Nigel Edwards played solid snooker to beat Steve Atkin.
Belmont C beat Woodville S&S B 5-3 in a tight match. As ever, Terry Bosworth claimed his two frames against Alan Shuttleworth in typical style. Ben Woodward, for Woodville, got them back on level terms in a hard fought match with Brian Cutting. Doug Lees was playing some fine snooker to take both frames of Terry Eyley. Dave Press drew with Jim Gardner to give Belmont the win.
SDSC F lost at home to an excellent performance by Tutbury C, who won 7-1. For Tutbury, Graham Smith rolled back the years with a great display of potting against the unfortunate Ken White in both frames. Gary Hall carried on the good start by winning his two frames fairly comfortably, with some solid snooker against Alex Reid. Geoff Siddalls was also in good form, as he beat Alex Glover. Well done Henry Carlton of SDSC, for stopping the whitewash with a determined effort, in sharing the spoils wth John Peto in two close frames of snooker.
Burton Cons D lost at home 3-5 to SDSC E, who did not start too well, as Andy Jefferies lost both frames to Al Munnien, who was in fine form. Ray Stretton pulled the scores level, with a convincing win against Geoff Wood. Tony Mitchell played solid snooker, to take both frames off Ian Protheroe. Phil Maddocks drew with Paul Brooks, to get the one frame SDSC needed for victory. In the frame that Paul won, he knocked in a 26 break.
In the top of the table clash between Willington D and Swad Cons D, the match ended all square, by all accounts this was a fair result. Loz Kennerson drew with Nig Duggins in two cracking frames in a match that neither player deserved to lose. Lee Cooke played at the top of his game to take Dave Bodie’s unbeaten run off him, with some good pots. This put Willington 3-1 up at the turn, but thanks to Gaz Ward beating Steve Lane, the scores were now level. Steve Butterworth drew with Scott Gee,to send both teams home happy with a draw.