2012-13: Week 14

In the Just Wood Premier Division, Burton Cons A had a good win at home to fourth placed Belmont A winning 6-2. Ian Archer got Belmont off to a cracking start, playing some excellent snooker to take both frames off Matt Milnes unfortunately, that was as good as it got for Belmont, as they lost the next six frames. John Shilton steadied the boat with some solid snooker play against Graham Bailey, taking both frames. Owen Jones had two close frames against Rich Goldby, but managed to come out the winner. Darren Coady on the night, was just too good for Josh Gebbie.
Current league leaders Newhall A had an excellent away win at Willington B where they won 7-1. Fran McInulty started well for Newhall in winning both frames against a slightly out of sorts Lionel Lewis. This was quickly followed up by an impressive display by Mark Satchwell in beating John Hardy. Steve Gaunt got the solitary frame for Willington in two tight frames with Mark Press. Darren Noble, who is certainly getting back into the groove with a fine display of snooker against Tony Clements, taking both frames, which included a 30 break.
Ivanhoe A could not have started their second half of the season any better, as they white washed Tutbury A 8-0. Ivanhoe’s new starlet Daniel Blunn, played really well in beating Paul Atterbury with some fine potting. Ian Rennocks, again in fine form, did a similar job on Daz Lester, which included a quick fire 38 break. Captain Michael Kirk was rather lucky to beat Alan Davies, which included a bizare incident when glasses where broken trying to get the spider from the rack, not sure whether they were full or not!! Antony Moore then completed the rout, with an efficient display to beat Craig Keen. This must be a first for both Alan and Craig to be in the same team to be white washed! This win leaves Ivanhoe second in the division.
SDSC A had a good win at home to Willington A, winning 5-3 and putting them just above half way in the division. Steve Ayre had a struggle on his hands, as he drew with Dave Hayman. Dave played some good shots, especially in the frame he won. Chris Dewey managed to take both frames off Dean Johnson, but it was close. John Davis came to SDSC’s rescue with a competent display, winning both frames against Bill Stewart. Jan Pawlazych tidyed the score up a little for Willington, with a solid display in beating Carl White.
The Ivanhoe C revival continues, as they had an excellent 5-3 win away at Belmont B. Mark Pickering got Ivanhoe off to a good start, by beating Arron Vaughan. Arron’s home form this season has not been his best, for such a talented player. Arron should have won the second frame, but missed an easy pink, leaving Mark to finish things off. Belmont’s Brett Craddock played well to beat Brenden Mattley in two tightly fought frames. The star match was between Belmont’s Michael Lomas and John Skellett. Michael had beaten John earlier in the campaign, but John was fired up to ensure this did not happen again. After falling 20 points behind in the first frame, he conjured up a superb 38 break to win the frame. He also put in a strong performance to win the second. Stuart Tagg shared the spoils with Miffa Smith for an Ivanhoe win.
Another win for fifth place Tutbury B against the relegation threathened SDSC B, winning 5-3. By all accounts they could have had a draw. Steve Hathaway and Andrew Bloor drew their match, Andrew dominated the first frame, but allowed Steve to take the last three balls to steal it. In the second frame, Andrew played the more steady snooker, winning it comfortably. Steve Mabbott and Simon Orpwood also drew, with Simon winning the first with the help of a 31 break, but Steve came back to win the second with a fine pot on the pink. Chris Mabbott was in great form in the first frame against Garton Bloor, knocking in four breaks of 17 in the frame to win it at a canter. The second frame was completely different with Garton closing down Chris’ play to win the frame. Dave Mabbott secured victory for the Tutters with some steady potting to beat Brian Bloor.<var></var>
Riley’s A got their second half of the season to a good start by beating Ivanhoe C 5-3 away. Gaz Dolman gave Ivanhoe a fine start, with some positive potting against Andy Spiers and winning both frames. Riley’s Mark Stirling got the match scores level with a solid performance to beat Steve Cockerham. John Chambers, the well known pool player, showed he is no mean snooker player, drawing with Graham Measures in an entertaining match. Not for the first time this season has it been left to Micky Tonks to get the necessary two frames to win the match for Riley’s, this time as he beat Darren Wilson.
In the David Wain Insurance Division 1, Swad Cons A and Burton Cons B battled it out again for the second time this week. Swad Cons won in the next round of the President’s Cup. This time the result was a draw. The Cons (Burton) will probably feel slightly disappointed with the result, after leading 4-2. Andy Grainger and Jason Anguish played out two good frames , with neither player deserving to lose. Mark Hadley and Dave Plunkett shared their frames. Simon Smith and Lee Wood shared the spoils, after Simon took the first frame. Simon Mansfield drew with Tom Egginton to earn Swad Cons a well deserved draw.
In another close match between two teams in, or around the relegation zone, it was Woodville S&S A who did well to beat Riley’s B 5-3 away. For Woodville, Alan Orpwood started his New Year well, playing some solid snooker in the first frame against Stewart Cameron, and winning on the pink. In the second frame, Alan was playing with great confidence, and won it well. Riley’s Paul Fox, again coming out of retirement, showing his team mates what they had been missing, by beating the unlucky Pat Ryan. Woodville’s star player, not for the first time this season was Jim Marcer, who had the measure of Adam Farrington in both frames. Although in the first frame, Adam required snookers on the colours, and came back only to lose on the pink. In two close frames of snooker between Ryan Gibbs and Tony Coleman, the honours were shared. In the first frame Ryan cleared from yellow to pink, to win it. Second frame Tony won on the blue.
Burton Cons C struggled to beat Stapenhill B winning 5-3, that was after being 4-0 ahead at the turn. The Cons where given a great start thanks to the wily old campaigner Jim Jennings, who played some really good snooker to take both frames off John Richardson.<var></var> Mick Buckland started the New Year as he left the old one, in fine form, as Stan Piechowicz would agree. Steve Castledine and Colin Britton played out a drawn match. For Stapenhill, Bryan Sharratt was in good form, beating Ian Shrive with some good potting.
SDSC C just managed to beat Willington C 5-3, to keep them in the promotion slot. Adam Harrison and Bill Davidson drew in a couple of scrappy frames in a match neither player deserved to win. In the battle of the captains, Pete Maquire and Dave Budworth played out an entertaining draw, with good potting by both players. Henry Tomas did well to draw with Trevor Heath, who was in fine form. The final match was unfortunately decided by a foul shot. In the match between two young players, Harry Farrell for SDSC, and Jonathan Hogarth of Willington. Harry, with some very attacking play, won the first frame, but should ha<var></var>ve lost the second, after Jonathan had a simple black for the draw, but chipped the cue ball off the table.
Stapenhill A let a 3-1 lead slip at the half way stage to Alrewas A, and ended up losing 5-3. The Alrewas cause was helped by them winning two out of three black ball games. Andy Tomlinson and Carl Poulton had two close games of snooker, with honours being shared with Andy knocking in a solid 32 break to win his frame. Stapenhill’s Chris Sheldrake played well to win the first frame against Dave Trueman, after being twenty behind at one stage. Brimming with confidence, Chris won the second fairly comfortably. The Raptors top players saved the day, first Ian Hiley took both frames off Tim Knopik with some solid play, then Colin Kinsella finished off the come back by taking the two frames they required for victory off John Sheriff.
Newhall B had a good win at home to Rolleston A, winning 6-2. Rolleston’s Bob Sanders took the first frame against Mark Anslow. Mark did very well to come back and take the second. In another drawn match between Carl Glover and Bob Tubey, Bob made some great pots to win the first frame, but Carl made a 25 break to win the second. Making the scores level at the turn. Callum Gray drew with Kev Norris in another quality match, with Kev knocking in a 24 break to win the first, in the second frame, Callum won it with a 27 break. Newhall’s star man was Martin Hicks, who was on fire against Tony Rushton, making breaks of 31 and 27 to win the frames and the match for Newhall. Tony made a good 28 break, but to know avail.
Another fine win for the league leaders Alrewas B, as they beat SDSC D 6-2. Phil Marklew got the Alrewas ball rolling with a solid performance against Ryan Gilmore, comfortably winning both frames. SDSC’s captain David Wain was again in fine form, but could only draw with Will Sherratt. John Sharpe and Lee Sherratt shared a couple of scrappy frames.<var></var> It was left to Alan Wilson to get at least a draw against Andy Rice to earn a victory for Alrewas, he did do better, he won.
In the Riley’s Division 2, second placed Alrewas C played hosts to third placed Swad Cons C, with Alrewas winning 5-3. Karl Hancox was again in good form, beating Vince Draper. In the first frame Karl hit the ground running making a 28 and a 31 breaks in his first two visits to the table, thus winning the frame at a canter. A similar pattern followed in the second frame, without the breaks, as Karl capitalised on Vince’s errors. Rob McMeechan and Craig Wilson shared the spoils, to put Alrewas 3-1 up at the turn. Colin Wood again looked in impressive form, but had to share the frames with Colin Cope, who played well at times. Nigel Edwards got the all important winning frame, as he drew with Bob Birch. This was a good win for promotion seeking Alrewas over one of their rivals.
Middle of the table Alrewas D had a good away win at SDSC F where they won 5-3. Alrewas skipper Tony Trueman, got them off to a good start by playing a good safety game against Alex Glover, enabling him to win both frames. Henry Carlton put a frame on the board for SDSC by drawing in a tight match with Tom Smith. Alex Read and John Hill drew their match, as did Ken White with Brian Aldridge, Brian’s frame gave<var></var> Alrewas the win.
Rolleston B earned themselves a very creditable draw at home to promotion seeking Belmont C. Dave Bentley drew with Dougie Lees. Neil Cheadle was in good form, but could not take both frames of Brian Cutting. An excellent result for the Rolleston skipper, John Ward winning both frames with some solid play to beat Terry Bosworth, not many people have taken both frames off Terry this season. Dave Press rescued Belmont by taking both frames off Steve Atkins for the draw.
Tutbury C beat Swad Cons B 7-1, it always helps when you get a good start, Tutbury did. Gary Hall played well to beat Reggie Shorthouse, who is know mean player. Graham Smith had a trip down memory lane, with some excellent potting display against the unlucky John Griffin. Graham Fisher was also in fine form in beating Pete Fearn. Jeff Siddells was the only Tutbury player to drop a frame to Dan Petcher.
Swad Cons D had a fine win beating Burton Cons D 8-0.
League leaders Willington D had a great win beating SDSC E 7-1. Willington’s master break builder Loz Kennerson, was again making a couple of good breaks of 42 and 29, in beating Ray Bancroft.