2012-13: Week 21

Now the snooker season gets interesting!

The first competition final of the season was the Evershed Vase played at Burton Cons between Jonathan Fletcher and Mark Press.  Jonathan beat Mark 3-0.  Mark lost the first frame on the black when overstretching after playing an excellent pot on the pink to leave himself a relatively easy pot on the black.  I don’t think Mark recovered after that miss.  Jonathan was in very good form all night especially in the second and third frames where he knocked in a lovely break in the forties which was then followed by a number of breaks in the mid 20’s.  Three quality frames played out in 45 minutes was not bad going.  I think Jonathan likes this competition as he has won it for the last five consecutive years.

In the Just Wood Premier Division reigning champions and current leaders Burton Cons A are making it very difficult for the chasing bunch to catch them as they beat Belmont B 7-1 in what was a good performance by both sides.  Jonathan Fletcher fresh from his Evershed Vase victory was again in good form making a very good 67 break which broke down with only three reds left on the table.  Jonathan made some superb pots for a person at the top of his game.  His opponent Brett Craddock made things a little more difficult in the second frame but still ended up with the same outcome as the first.  For Belmont Miffa Smith took the first frame against Stuart Roberts with a break of 31.  Miffa missed very little on the night but he gave Stuart one opportunity which he took to win the second frame with the help of a 34 break.  Darren Coady played some solid snooker as he took both frames against a determined Arron Vaughan with Darren knocking in breaks of 37 and 34.  Owen Jones was the Cons star player against Michael Lomas winning both frames.  Owen made the most of the mistakes the youngster made and never really giving him a chance to get into the game.  Owen made a 45 break in the first frame and a 49 in the second both including some good pots.

Belmont A have dealt a severe blow to Ivanhoe A’s title aspirations as they lost 5-3.  Rich Goldby started off in the right manner as he took both frames off Ian Rennocks with a fine display of long potting.  Ian Archer was in terrific form against Antony Moore not really giving him much of an opportunity in either frame as he made telling breaks in each of his winning frames 36 and 40 breaks respectively.  This was then followed up by captain Shaun Gebbie drawing with the in-form Andy Marriott who made a 31 break to win his frame.  Daniel Blunn improved the score line from Ivanhoe’s point of view by taking both frames off Josh Gebbie in two very competitive frames which had a 35 break from Daniel.

Newhall A had a fine away win beating relegation threatened Ivanhoe B 7-1.  Fran McInulty got them off to a fine start in a quality match against John Skellett winning both frames which included a well constructed 55 break.  Jason Pickering and Mark Press shared two fairly even frames.  Jason won Ivanhoe’s only frame.  Wayne Brewin was in good form as he beat an-out-of sorts Mark Pickering with a bit to spare.  Mark Satchwell improved the score line as he took two frames off Tim Bale with both players knocking in some fine pots.

In the relegation dog fight between Tutbury A and SDSC A it was the away team who came away as the victors winning 5-3.  This was SDSC’s second win on the bounce which gives them renewed hope of staying up.  SDSC where given the perfect start thanks to Brian Bloor playing solid snooker in beating Paul Atterbury.  Simon Orpwood put in a good shift in beating a determined but unsuccessful opponent in the form of Alan Davies.  Craig Keen attempted the Tutbury revival by drawing with Andrew Bloor in two close frames.  Daz Lester improved the score even better by beating Garton Bloor with some good pots.

A good draw for Willington A at home against Rileys A keeps them just above the relegation zone.  Things did not start off too well for Willington as Bill Stewart lost both frames to Andy Spiers in two close frames.  Even worse was to follow with Dean Johnson losing to Mark Stirling in a couple of dour frames.  Wayne Pierra started the comeback with a solid display in beating Ady Harper.  Jan Pawlazych completed the revival with a well earned two frames win against Micky Tonks.

SDSC A had a good win against the team just below them Willington B winning 6-2.  Andy Goldingay played two fine frames of snooker in beating Lionel Lewis in a match that saw both players getting some nice pots.  Steve Ayre drew with Tony Clements in a rather tactical match putting SDSC 3-1 ahead at the turn.  Chris Dewey ensured the win by taking both frames off Steve Gaunt in an entertaining two frames.  John Davis drew with John Hardy to increase the winning margin.

In the David Wain Insurance Division 1 we saw the league leaders SDSC C increase their lead at the top with an empathic performance against fourth in the table Swad Cons A winning 8-0 a score line that will surprise a few teams.  SDSC’s Adam Harrison was unplayable as he rattled in four breaks over 30.  Lee Wood must have wondered what Adam had had for his tea as he made breaks of 40, 32, 32 and another 40.  Ben Davies was also in fine potting mood potting balls from all over the table as he beat Mark Hadley.  The silky talents of Henry Tomas were too much for the reliable Andy Grainger as Henry won both frames fairly easily.  The talented Harry Farrell was back in form with some good pots as he took both frames in some style to beat Paul Slater.  This must rank as SDSC’s best win of the season and set them up for the promotion run in which it could go down to the wire for the title.

Alrewas A slipped a few more points behind SDSC C as they could only draw against SDSC D.  The Raptors Colin Kinsella won his first frame against Lee Sherratt fairly easily and was in control of the second but let Lee in with some good pots to steal it.  David Trueman and Andy Rice deservedly shared their frames in a bit of a drawn out match.  Ian Hiley was quick off the mark in the first frame winning it fairly comfortably against Danny Collins but Danny came good in the second frame with some fine pots.  King Carlos of Alrewas whose crown appears to be slipping a little as he drew with David Wain in two safety conscious frames with neither player wanting to lose both frames.

Alrewas B picked up vital points on their A team winning 5-3 away to the inconsistent Rileys B.  Rileys’ Stewart Cameron played well to get a deserved share of the spoils with Will Sherratt.  Ryan Gibbs was in a determined mood as he drew with Alan Wilson in a close match.  Paul Fox did extremely well to take a frame off Alrewas star player Phil Marklew as he knocked in breaks of 32 and 31 respectfully.  John Sharpe earned Alrewas the win with a battling display against Adam Farrington winning both frames despite some good long pots by Adam.

Newhall B had a good win against Burton Cons C winning 5-3 although the Cons only turned up with three players which proved to be costly.  Steve Castledine for the Cons took the first frame off Martin Hicks with some good pots but in the second Martin won it fairly easily.  In the first frame between Carl Glover and Ian Shrive it was decided on the blue in Ian’s favour.  The second frame went to Carl on the pink.  Star player for Newhall was Rob Hamilton who was playing his first game for them as he drew with the Cons potting machine Mick Buckland.  Rob played well to win the first frame but Mick came back well to win the next on the blue.

Willington C got out of jail as they came back from 4-0 down against relegation threatened Woodville S&S A to get a deserved draw.  For Woodville Alan Orpwood played his best snooker of the season in beating Dave Budworth with quality pots in both frames.  Dave also made some fine pots. This was the start Woodville wanted and it was carried on into the next match where Pat Ryan had a real struggle on his hands to take the first frame on the black against Jonathan Hogarth after he potted a good pink.  In the second frame Pat was always in control and won with a bit to spare.  That was as good as it got for Woodville.  The Willington comeback was started by Trevor Heath who played steady snooker all night in beating Jim Marcer despite Jim making a 24 break in the second.  Trevor had a little bit of good running but he also made some fine pots.  The comeback was completed by Bill Davidson beating Tony Coleman with a good mixture of potting and safety play.

Another team in the relegation slot is Stapenhill B who lost at home 5-3 to Burton Cons B.  John Richardson and Simon Smith shared two quick fire frames that included good pots by both players.  In the frame Simon won he knocked in a rapid 28 break.  Colin Britton then shared his match with Jason Anguish that included a 24 break by Jason. The Cons captain Dave Plunkett was the difference between the two sides as he was the only player on the night to take both frames against Greg Britton.  Dave showed great determination in getting his win.  Tom Egginton got the one frame the Cons required for the win in a rather slow match with Stan Piechowicz.

Rolleston A just lost out to Stapenhill A losing 5-3 at home.  Tony Rushton and John Sherriff played out two highly competitive frames with honours deservedly shared.  Bob Tubey who is in good form at the moment and had to be as he drew with Steve Ford who potted some good balls.  Kev Norris played well in the first frame to beat Chris Sheldrake but the roles were reversed in the second with Chris winning.  Stapenhill’s Carlos Jeffcoate back from his safari holiday was in cracking form with some fine pots by both players but especially from Carlos in beating Bob Sanders in a most enjoyable game.

In the Riley’s Division 2 Alrewas C got back to winning ways after their recent wobble beating SDSC F 6-2 away.  Karl Hancox maintained his rich vein of form for Alrewas as he again won his two frames this time beating Alex Glover with a solid display of potting.  Sam Hutchison won the first frame for SDSC by drawing with Colin Wood.  Dave Wileman won the first frame with some tidy snooker but Nigel Edwards fought his way back to take the second.  Rob McMeecham won the match for Alrewas with a dour display but a successful one as he won both frames against Henry Carlton.

Tutbury C could be putting in a late bid for a promotion place as they thrashed Swad Cons D 7-1.  Graham Smith who seems to be getting better as the season progress’ put in a workman-like performance to take both frames against Gaz Ward.  Gary Hall then drew with Marc Egan to put Tutbury in the driving seat 3-1 ahead at the turn.  By all accounts Graham Fisher was on top form against Scott Gee winning both frames fairly easily which also included a 30 break.  Jeff Siddalls who has been in fairly good form all season added another two frames to his collection as he beat Kieron Dadley.

Burton Cons D slipped to the bottom of the division as they lost 8-0 to middle of the table Belmont C.  Belmont got off to the perfect start thanks to Terry Bosworth beating Ian Protheroe in style.  It was Dougie Lees turn next to put on a polished display to beat Paul Brooks.  Brian Cutting is back on form as Geoff Wood would agree with some cracking pots.  Dave ‘consistent’ Press had two good frames of snooker against Nathan Brooks with both players making fine pots but unfortunately for Nathan he lost both of them.

Swad Cons B took a bit of a hammering at home losing 7-1 to SDSC E.  Bob McInulty won the first frame of the night for the Cons against Tony Mitchell and as it turned out their only frame.  Ray Stretton was in good form as he comfortably took both frames off John Griffin.  Ray Bancroft and Dan Petcher had quite a tussle in their two frames with neither player prepared to give an inch but it was the experienced Ray who eventually came through.  Phil Maddocks wrapped up a fine night for SDSC by beating Jon Petcher in style.

Alrewas D drew with Woodville S&S B in a very closely fought match.  Luke Hudson got Woodville off to a solid start as he took both frames off Brian Aldridge.  This was then levelled up by a gritty display by John Hill beating Richard Taylor.  Terry Eyley used his wealth of experience to beat another seasoned campaigner Brian Eccleston.  Tom Smith who has been most consistent throughout the season for Alrewas carried on the good work against an out of sorts Alan Shuttleworth.

Swad Cons C won well at home to Rolleston B winning 6-2.  Bob Birch and Aaron Doyle shared their frames in a close match.  Matt Newbold played well to beat Dave Bentley which included a 34 clearance with some good positional shots to carry on the break.  Craig Wilson had to be on top form to take both frames off Neil Cheadle in a match where both players had opportunities but only Craig took full advantage of them.  Colin Cope and Steve Atkin both had chances to win their match but had to settle for a share of the spoils.