2013-14: Week 18

Owen Jones writes for Just Wood Premier Division
Belmont B hosted Belmont A in the Burton and District Snooker League and it proved to be a very one sided affair, in the A team’s favour. Josh Gebbie continued his good season by defeating Micky Morris. Morris did however have a chance to pinch a frame but missed the final pink. Arron Vaughan and Fran McInulty shared a frame each to leave the scores at 3-1 at the halfway stage. Mark Press and Ian Archer then defeated Mark Vaughan and Brett Craddock respectively to clinch the victory and a 7-1 scoreline.
Rileys A picked up a much needed 6-2 victory at home to Alrewas A. Andy Spiers knocked in a 37 in defeating Colin Kinsella, while Tom Elliott also took maximum points against Carl Poulton. Ade Harper drew with Ian Hiley and Mark Stirling drew with Dave Trueman to close out the match and put pressure on the surrounding teams at the bottom of the division.
Burton Cons A bounced back from the previous week’s draw to clinch a 7-1 victory against an unfortunate Ivanhoe B side. Owen Jones opened against the dangerous Steve Cockerham. The game finished 2-0 to Jones who knocked in a 47, but that does not tell the whole story. The first frame could have gone either way and in the second frame Cockerham clawed back the snookers he required only to inexplicably miss a brown over the pocket when the colours were at his mercy. On the other table, Mick Simpkins lost the first frame to Jerry Cook, who had his fair share of fortune. Simpkins responded in the second frame and potted well to clinch it. John Shilton hosted Gaz Dolman and it was Shilton who came out on top to put the champions in command. Darren Coady then played Graham Measures to end the match. Coady played some great snooker, including a lovely 57, to sweep aside his opponent and rubber stamp a fine win.
Willington also hosted a derby on the night as the A team played the B team. Dean Johnson took the frames against an unlucky Andy Jenkins, who knocked in a 25 break, but could not capitalise. Daz Lester then scored a 30 break against John Hardy in taking his frame. Back came Hardy to take the second and Bill Stewart also drew with Steve Gaunt. Gaz Barker proved to be lethal yet again for the A team as he knocked in a 35 to beat Tony Clements and claim a 6-2 victory.
Swadlincote Snooker Centre B took a hard fought 5-3 victory over Tutbury A. Young Harry Farrell played well to beat Dave Mabbott and Henry Thomas also took both frames against Steve Mabbott, despite his opponent knocking in a 30 break. Ben Davies then made a draw with Steve Hathaway. Chris Mabbott gave the score some respectability by taking the final two frames against the unfortunate Adam Harrison.
Alrewas B hosted Swadlincote Snooker Centre A and it was the visitors who claimed the spoils in a 5-3 win. Andy Goldingay took the frames against Will Sherratt and Chris Dewey won a frame from Alan Wilson to put the away side in control. Steve Ayre then took two against John Sharpe to claim the 5 frames needed for victory. Phil Marklew closed out the game with a touch of class as he defeated Carl White with breaks of 40 and 41.
Mark Vaughan writes for David Wain Insurance Division One
Alrewas C are a team who have been threatening a big win all season and eventually got one by thrashing title hopefuls Ivanhoe C 7 -1 in an enthralling game.  Karl Hancox the division’s current highest break owner with 72 got the Alrewas team off to a great start by winning two frames against Brendan Mattley as did team mate Colin Wood who defeated Tony Tredger.  Jason Pickering for the Ashby side took a frame off Rob Mcmeechan but man of the match goes to Nigel Edwards who is showing some decent form now by grabbing two frames off Stu Tagg for a magnificent 7-1 win which dents Ivanhoe’s title challenge, but eases any Alrewas relegation fears.
Stapenhill A moved up the table to fourth thanks to a home win over third placed Burton Cons B, Chris Sheldrake played well to take 2 off Tom Egginton as did John Richardson when defeating Burton’s talented Simon Smith.  Burton’s Dave Plunkett pulled 2 frames back by beating Steve Ford.  Stapenhill’s Jason Anguish then pulled another frame back from Carl Jeffcote leaving the match balanced on the last frame and in a close game it was the Stapenhill’s Carl Jeffcote who came out on top to give his team a valuable 5-3 win.
Willington C hosted SDSC C and immediately took control of the fixture, Daz Harris taking two off Brian Bloor in 2 close fought frames, Steve Butterworth shared his frames with Andrew Bloor, Swad’s Simon Orpwood pulled another two frames back against Steve Lane but the comeback was halted by Loz Kennerson who won the first frame to give his team the lead and followed it up with the second frame to give his side the match.
Newhall B had a great win that moves them up the table at the expense of Stapenhill B, Adam McInulty had a decent 41 break when beating Greg Britton as did his team mate Callum Gray against Brian Sharratt, Martin Hicks took another two for Newhall against Tim Knopik and Carl Glover shared his frames with John Sherriff for a 7-1 win.
Swad Cons B put up a great fight against stable mates the A team, Colin Cope for the B team took the first frame with the help of a 31 break against in form Andy Grainger who in the second frame came back to win it with a 28 break. Bob McInulty followed this up by winning two good frames for the B team from Lee Wood, Paul Hollis then faced Simon Mansfield who in two close frames got the A team back into the match, this was how it ended for the B team as they could not field a last player gifting two frames to Paul Slater and giving the A team the victory.
Tony Coleman writes for Rileys Division 2
Willington D increased their lead at the top of the division with a fine away win against SDSC E who were third in the division winning 6-2.  For SDSC Ray Stretton did very well to share the frames with Dave Budworth who is high up in the divisions averages.  In this match both players were in good form potting-wise.  On the other table we had the maestro at work Trevor “hot shot” Heath was again in terrific form making some cracking pots as he took both frames fairly easily against the unlucky Ray Bancroft who was never allowed to get in the groove.  Andy Jefferies did his best to get his side back on level terms but had to settle for a share of the spoils with Bill Davidson in two close frames which included some very good safety play by both players.  Andy knocked in a 25 break to win his frame.  Brian Alford secured the win for the Powerboys with a win against Tony Mitchell.  Both players seemed to struggle a little to put any decent breaks together.  This win certainly makes Willington favourite to get one of the promotion places.
In the clash between the second placed side Rolleston C and the team in fourth place Woodville S&S A it was Woodville who came away the happier from Rolleston as they won 6-2.  Woodville got off to a pretty good start thanks to the ‘master cueman’ Jim Marcer taking his two frames off the talented Joe Docksey.  Jim won his first frame fairly comfortably but in the second frame it was nip and tuck all the way with Jim potting a straight forward pink for the match.  The good work continued with Tony Coleman and Lionel Lewis sharing the frames in what was two long drawn out frames with plenty of good safety play by both players.  This put Woodville 3-1 ahead at the turn a lead that they did not relinquish.  Pat Ryan probably played his best snooker of the season as he took both frames off Richard O’Dell.  The match featured some very good potting by both players with Pat just having the edge.  This game was played at a very quick tempo in comparison to the previous match.  Two cracking frames of snooker between Alan Orpwood and Kev Norris quite rightly ended all square as both players made some excellent pots.  In the first frame Alan made some good pots and raced into a substantial lead which included a 20 break but Kev clawed his way back into the frame only to see Alan pot the blue and then cross double the pink into the right hand black bag.  The second was just as interesting but with Kev being the more dominant potter he won the frame on the green.  The game was played in a great atmosphere.
Tutbury B have put themselves very nicely into the promotion race as they thrashed SDSC F winning 7-1.  Tutbury were given the perfect start thanks to skipper John Peto who played very well to beat Alex Read.  Both players got some very good pots.  Paul Atterbury continued the good start as he beat Matt Hazzard fairly comfortably with some steady snooker.  This put Tutbury 4-0 ahead at the turn and it only got better for them as Jeff Siddalls was again in fine form as he won both frames in an entertaining match with Ken White.  Ashley Beard prevented the whitewash as he deservedly shared the frames with Colin Hill.  Ashley played some good safety in both frames.   In the frame that Ashley won he came back from the dead to nick the frame by making two exceptional pots on the pink and black.
Ivanhoe D put themselves in a good position for a promotion place as they just beat Alrewas D 5-3.  This win puts them tied for third place with Rolleston C and SDSC E with Tutbury one point behind them.  Eric Avins for Ivanhoe did well to take a frame off Brian Aldridge as Brian has been in good form of  late.  Tim Bale shared the frames with Tony Trueman in a tight match.  Barry Fieldsend although not playing regularly this season never lets the team down when required as he drew with Brian Eccleston in a match that had some good pots by both players and a share of the spoils was a fair result.  Not for the first time this season Jason Collins won the two vital frames they needed for victory with a solid performance against Dave Riley who did not have the best of running.  On this performance Warner Collins who was away trying to get his dancing certificate could struggle to get back into the team.
Rolleston B got back to winning ways with a solid display in beating Burton Cons D 6-2.  Steve Atkin put them on the right path as he took both frames off Ian Protheroe in two entertaining frames with Steve making the most of the opportunities when they arose.  Neil Cheadle and Al Munnien shared their frames in two contrasting frames.  The first frame Neil potted everything in front of him but in the second frame it was Al’s turn to do the same.  This putting Rolleston 3-1 ahead at the turn.  Dave Bentley and Nathan Brookes’ match ended honours even with both players putting in a solid display.  It was then left to the pocket dynamo John Ward who has been playing well of late to secure the win for the Rollestonites with two good frames of snooker against Paul Brookes.  John was the first to admit that he had some favourable running in both frames but made the most of his opportunities.