2013-14: Week 19

Owen Jones writes for the Just Wood Premier Division.
Ivanhoe A kept up their challenge for second place as they defeated Alrewas A 7-1 at the Legion. Andy Marriott continued his fine form taking both frames, including a 46 break, against the unlucky Carl Poulton. Ian Rennocks then guaranteed at least a draw as he took the frames against Dave Trueman. Rennocks also made a 48 break on the way to victory. Ant Moore also took maximum points as he defeated Colin Kinsella. Ian Hiley avoided the whitewash as he won a frame with a re-spotted black. His opponent, Mick Kirk, had earlier won the first frame aided by a 35 break.
Ivanhoe B hosted Swadlincote Snooker Centre B in what turned out to be a hard fought draw. Gaz Dolman played well to take both frames against Adam Harrison, while Henry Thomas evened the scores, beating Graham Measures. Harry Farrell took the first frame against the evergreen George Cawkwell, who then responded well to shock the youngster and pinch a frame. Daz Wilson went up against Ben Davies in a match that would decide the outcome on the night. The frames were shared leaving both sides with a share of the spoils.
Swadlincote Snooker Centre A welcomed Belmont B and subsequently took the win in a close 5-3 victory. Rich Goldby came out of self-imposed exile to beat Steve Ayre to put the visitors in front. Chris Dewey defeated Brett Craddock to even things up. John Davis knocked in 53 to take the first frame against Micky Morris, but Morris came back well to take the second. The final game saw Andy Goldingay beat Arron Vaughan, aided by a 51 break to close out the match.
Tutbury A saw off Alrewas B in a 6-2 victory. Steve and Dave Mabbott defeated Will Sherratt and Alan Wilson respectively to put the Tutters in command. Dave Powell and John Sharpe shared two scrappy frames. The tie of the match saw the talented Chris Mabbott play the equally talented Phil Marklew. Mabbott played some superb safety to keep Marklew on a tight leash and comfortably win the first frame. Marklew responded to take the second frame on the colours to end the match and record the win.
Willington B hosted champions Burton Cons A in what turned out to be a close match. Mick Simpkins showed what he can do, knocking in breaks of 30 and 36 on the way to beating Rich Turner. John Hardy then played well in the first frame to take it on the colours against John Shilton. His opponent came back to win the second frame to leave the scores at 3-1 at the half way stage. Steve Gaunt then played Matt Milnes and it was latter that played the better of the two, taking both frames aided by a 40 break. Tony Clements closed out the match as he played Owen Jones. The first frame was very close all the way through until Clements cleared from brown to black from nowhere to pinch it. The second frame was a similar story but Clements rode his luck at key points to take the frame and leave the score at 5-3 to the visitors.
Belmont A hosted Rileys A in yet another close match on the night. Ian Archer won both frames comfortably against Tom Elliott, with a break of 61 in the first. Fran McInulty then had no answer for the great potting of Mark Sterling who took both frames. Josh Gebbie played some great snooker to take the first frame off Ade Harper, but with both players on 60 points plus in the second frame, it was Ade that took the frame on the black. Graham Bailey had to fight back in the first frame against Andy Spears taking it on the pink, but it was Andy who took the second frame when potting the final black. The match ended 4-4.
Mark Vaughan writes for David Wain Division one
Burton Cons hosted a derby this week as the clubs B and C teams locked horns, the B teams Dave Shipton got off to a flyer and before his opponent Ian Shrive knew it he was 50 points behind, Dave missed very few pots in taking the frame. It was more of the same in the second frame and he went 22 in front with 25 points left on, but he conceded a foul going in-off on the green which gave Ian his chance which he took brilliantly clearing the colours to take the frame, on the other table Dave Plunkett made a couple of breaks to go in front but then let the C teams Mick Buckland in while levelling the scores he had an unlucky kick and Dave followed with a 24 to take the frame. In the second frame it was Mick who took the early initiative with a series of breaks and went well in front, he closed the frame out with the best break of the night a 36 to earn himself a deserved draw. The B teams in form player Simon Smith took on the talented Steve Castledine, the first was a one sided affair with Simon doing all the potting and not leaving Steve much to go at, Simon won by 50 points. The second frame was all Simon again going 40 in front and with the last red on the table Simon made a 32 clearance to take it 2-0. The last games were a tight affair between Tom Egginton and Jim Jennings, the first frame was nip and tuck to the colours, Tom taking it on the pink. The second was much better from both players and it was the C teams Jim Jennings who cleared the colours to win the frame which was not enough as the B team took the match 5-3.
Swad Snooker C had a cracking match against fellow Swadlincote side Swad Cons B, Simon Orpwood got his side off to a great start by defeating Cons Paul Hollis in two close frames while on the other table Cons fared better as Vince Draper defeated Brian Bloor to level the scores, Garton Bloor then went on against Bob McInulty and after two quality frames they could not be separated leaving the match balanced on the last game between Swad Snookers talented Andrew Bloor and Cons ever improving Matt Newbold the first frame was all Andrew and he won it with a 29 clearance, the final frame was nip and tuck until Matt made a series of breaks to win the frame and earn his team an excellent draw.
Stapenhill B took on current league leaders Swad Snooker Centre D, Tim Knopik for the home team faced Ryan Gilmore who has proved hard to beat this year and continued by winning both for the Swad team, this was matched by team mate Wayne Brewin also in fine form this season who defeated Stapenhill’s Andy Tomlinson with the help of breaks of 39 and 31. Swad’s Lee Sherratt and Andy Rice played John Sheriff and Stan Piechowicz both games ending in a draw and giving the Swad team a win which keeps them at the top.
Swad Cons A are a team who have got themselves into a promotion place and came up against a side who last week dented Ivanhoe C teams title bid, the game got off with two players who have both played well this season Swads Andy Grainger and Alrewas’s Karl Hancox and two close games ended in a draw, Swads Lee Wood potted well to take two frames off Colin Wood and team mate Craig Wilson took two off the unlucky Rob Mcmeechan, the game ended with Swads Paul Slater drawing with Jordan Watts, who made a 29 in the frame he took. 
Ivanhoe C bounced back this week against Stapenhill A with a convincing home win, John Skellett was back in the team and took two off Chris Sheldrake, Stu Tagg followed this up with the first frame, Carl Jeffcote hitting back taking the second. Jason Pickering has had a slow season but breezed past John Richardson to win the tie for his team ably supported by Bren Mattley who took the first off Steve Ford for a 6-2 win.
Tony Coleman reporting on Rileys Division 2
Willington D knew that they were in for a tough night as their opponents Tutbury B turned up with three players with Premier league experience. Although league leaders Willington seemed to cope with this fairly well as they drew in a game of two halves. Dave Budworth had to be at his best as Paul Atterbury got himself into a handy 30 point lead thanks to some fine potting and safety play. Dave got back into the frame thanks to a 20 and 15 break after that it was plain sailing in the frame and also in the second. Trevor “hot shot” Heath was again in excellent form with some terrific pots as he won both frames fairly comfortably against Colin Bell thus putting Willington 4-0 ahead at the turn and sensing another win but the remaining Tutbury boys had other ideas. Brian Alford struggled in the first frame as Jeff Siddalls got the fight back on track winning the frame with ease. The second frame was slightly tougher for Jeff as Brian used all of his experience to win the frame but failed on the black. John Peto played a captains roll as he won the two frames they required for the draw in beating Bill Davidson in two tight frames. The difference was that John made the most of the opportunities when they arose and also a little bit of kind running.
Woodville S&S A kept themselves in a good position as they beat joint third in the table Ivanhoe D 5-3. Ivanhoe put in a really fine display despite having a depleted team. For Woodville Alan Orpwood was not really at the races in the first frame against Tim Bale but managed to steal it. Tim was a little gutted to lose the frame but in the second frame Alan regained some of his sparkle to take it fairly comfortably although Tim had some terrible running in the frame. He would pot a good red and then not land on a colour. Jim Marcer was also a little out of sorts in the first frame probably too much training for his Triathlon as he lost the frame to Eric Avins who played solid snooker to take the frame. In the second frame Jim must have had a second wind as he missed very little which included a very nice 27 break. Star player for the home team was Pat Ryan who has been playing really well of late as he won the first frame on the black against Trevor Hinks who can think himself unlucky to lose the frame after potting a very good pink. In the next frame Pat was able to keep Trevor at a distance as he made steady pots throughout the frame. Trevor did exceptionally well as he was only drafted in to play at the last minute. In the last match it was the Reporter up against the Dancer and it was the dancer who waltzed off with the two frames. Tony Coleman and Warner Collins had a very tight first frame with plenty of quality safety play by both players. The highest break made by either player was “seven” which was made by Warner. After a bout of more safety play Warner won the frame by potting the blue and pink. The second frame was just as close with only a couple of reds left when Warner suddenly went from a slow foxtrot to a quick step with Tony conceding on the brown. These two frames brought more of a true reflection of the match.
SDSC E moved into third place with a fine win away to Swad Cons D winning 5-3. The reliable Gaz Ward for the Cons gave his side a good start by taking both frames fairly easily against Tony Mitchell with a solid potting performance. The score line was made level by Nick Harcombe with a battling performance to take his two frames off Marc Egan with Nick knocking in a nice 27 break to win one of his frames. Bob Birch and Ray Bancroft shared two close frames with both players playing some nice pots and good safety play. The match was decided in SDSC’s favour with a solid display by Andy Jefferies as he won both frames against Andy Boam.
Alrewas D got back to winning ways with a comfortable home win against the lowly Swad Cons C 6-2. John Hill found some form as he beat Andy Jowett in two entertaining games with both players playing some attacking snooker. Tom Smith put the A38 boys in a fine position as he took both frames with a cracking display of potting. Jon Petcher for the Cons did his best to get his team back into the match with a battling display in beating Brian Eccleston with some fine pots. Tony Trueman earned his side the victory with two well taken frames against Barry Bentley who despite losing both frames made some valuable contributions to the match.