2015-16: Week 4

Owen Jones reporting on the David Wain Insurance Premier Division
Week four of the David Wain Insurance Premier Division began with a nail biting clash between Burton Cons B and Ivanhoe A. Simon Smith and Ian Rennocks won a frame each which was a fair result while on the other table, Mike Buckland had his fair share of run in beating Ant Moore. However, Buckland knocked in a break of 35 to justify his win. Andy Marriott then bought the scores level as he beat Dave Plunkett, aided by a 30 break. Dave Shipton and Daniel Blunn slugged it out in the final match to try and determine a victor. It was Blunn who won the match as he won a close first frame and a comfortable second to leave the final score as 5-3 to the visitors.
A close and entertaining game was had at the Royal British Legion as Alrewas A came out on top against Chimneys A. Adam Walton and Jan Pawlazyck shared two black ball finishes. In both games Walton was ahead but Pawlazyck fought back in both and should have taken the second as well missing the final pink off its spot. David Trueman kept up his 100% record against Dean Johnson in two slow and scrappy frames. Neither player got anywhere near their best but Trueman potted a few important balls to make the difference. Wayne Pierra knocked in an excellent 47 to clear the second frame after taking the first also comfortably against Ian Hiley who has yet to fire this season. That left Bill Stewart of the Chimneys and Carl Poulton to shoot out for the match. In the first Poulton was always ahead and wrapped it up on the final yellow. The second was a similar affair but Stewart fought all the way back to the final pink that he missed only then to see Poulton fluke it into the bottom corner to leave the final score at 5-3 to the hosts.
Ashby Ivanhoe B hosted Burton Cons A. Jason Pickering played John Shilton first up. Shilton potted well in the first to take it but Pickering responded well to level things up, aided by a 39 break. Ivan Birkin and Mick Simpkins then played out a well contested draw with both players not only potting well and but also producing some great safety play. The second half proved to be critical as both Graham Stevens and Owen Jones won all the frames against John Skellett and Brendon Mattley respectively to earn the victory for the reigning champions.
Belmont A played Spot On A in another close match on the night which finished 5-3 to the hosts. Ian Archer played Mark Stirling and it was the Spot On player who started well, knocking in a 29 break. This forced Archer to retaliate which he did by winning the frame with a nice 54 break. Archer then won the second with a break of 35. Josh Gebbie played well to take the first frame against Ade Harper, but his opponent responded with a 29 break to win the second frame. Wayne Brewin and Andy Speirs then won a frame each with some good play from both players. The final game saw Shaun Gebbie and Tom Elliott also share the frames with the latter knocking in a 29 break to close out the match.
Chimneys B hosted Swad Cons A and the sides could not be separated. Steve Buttie and Simon Orpwood won a frame a piece before Lee Cooke and Lee Wood followed suit. Steve Lane then potted well to win both frames against Paul Slater to put the hosts in front. It was left to Andy Grainger to earn the draw for the visitors as he won both frames against Loz Kennerson, which included a 34 break.
Swad Snooker Centre A won 6-2 at home against Stapenhill A. Steve Ayre potted well to win both frames against Mark Walden. Chris Dewey shared the frames with Andy Gretton, who made a tidy 39 break. Andy Goldingay also knocked in a 39 as he won both frames against Chris Sheldrake. Finally, Mark Satchwell and Andy Tomlinson both potted well to take a frame each and closed out the match.
Tutbury A also won 6-2 against Belmont B. Steve Mabbott and brother Chris won their frames against Andrew Thompson and Graham Bailey respectively to put the hosts in command. Arron Vaughan halted the charge by winning both frames against Dave Mabbott. Steve Hathaway was the star of the show as he knocked in a 45 break in beating Rich Goldby.
Mike Buckland reporting on Division 1
Colin Bell from Tutbury B is now the only player to have won all 8 frames he’s played in the league this season in Division One. He maintained his 100% start with a comfortable victory over Tom Holland at Belmont D, although the first went down to the blue. It was a tale of two tables as on the other table Micky Morris was at his fluent best as he defeated Tutters’ captain John Peto. Micky included a nice 35 which only broke down due to a pocket knuckle being a little unforgiving. This would be to prove the division’s high break of the week. Brett Craddock then put the home side in control with a good 29 in his win over Jeff Siddalls, playing his best snooker of the season so far.Not to be outdone though Paul Atterbury played well to beat Mark Vaughan in a tactical battle to ensure the spoils were shared.
Another game to end in a draw was at Burton Cons C as they halved with Newhall. Martin Hicks showed a return to some kind of form as he beat Matt Hucker. Lee Louch and Mark Anslow will look back at missed chances as they drew on the other table. Steve Castledine, Cons reluctant player, stood in this week for captain Ian Shrive who was on holiday and promptly beat Sam Hicks. In a veteran’s battle Tom Egginton then drew with Martin Hurdman to ensure the overall draw.
At Chimneys the C team had a great win over Alrewas C. Last week’s centurion Karl Hancox was only able to draw with Tony Clements. Other well contested matches left draws between Rob McMeecham and Mike Smith and also Steve Gaunt and Colin Wood. It was left to the consistent Trevor Heath to make the difference as he beat the off-form and usually reliable John Richardson. This leaves Chimneys with a 100% start to the season after 4 games.
Another side with a perfect start is SDSC C led by Pete Maguire. They had a thumping 7-1 victory over Alrewas B. Only Alan Wilson had any joy for the Legionnaires as he took a frame off of Simon Shilton. Simon for good measure though had a nice 34 in his frame win.  Henry Tomas, Carl Hyde and captain Pete then defeated Will Sherratt, Roy Sherratt and John Sharpe respectively. This leaves the Swad side top at this early stage.
A side that had started the season well, Ivanhoe C suffered a surprise home defeat by Rolleston B. Gaz Dolman got things off to a good start for the Ashby side with a 2-0 win over John Harvey. Steve Cockerham then drew a well contested match with the consistent Lionel Lewis to leave Ivanhoe 3-1 up at the break. The match then turned on its head as Kev Norris beat the home captain Darren Wilson and Rob Sanders defeated Ivanhoe’s Jerry Cook.
Another match to end all square was played out at The Institute in Stapenhill. John Sherriff and Brian Cutting shared in the opening game before Mark Press used all of his experience to beat Stan Piechowicz including a nice 28 along the way. This left the away side ahead at half way before John Swift came to the Institute’s rescue by beating Doug Lees. In the final game Tim Knopik and Terry Bosworth both had opportunities to win but both had to settle for a draw to ensure that the bonus winning point was not earned by either side.
Rolleston A finally kick-started their season with a hard fought win over Swad Snooker Centre B. Things did not start well for them though as Captain Joe Docksey only drew with Ray Bancroft and the Ray Stretton beat the home team’s Luke Speed. Rolleston’s talisman though these days is Tony Rushton and he turned things round-including a good 31 versus the luckless Andy Jeffries. Unfortunately for Swad, their most reliable player usually Nick Harcombe was off form allowing Bobby Cliff to claim a good victory which leaves the Snooker Centre boys winless and rock bottom of the league.
Tony Coleman your on-the-spot reporter reporting on Division 2
Spot On C are maintaining their fine start to the season with another win at home to Burton Cons D who made them battle all the way before winning 6-2.  Jared Cronje and Al Munnien shared the opening two frames with very little between them in both frames although Jared knocked a 21 break to help his cause to win his frame.  Sean Bates was again in excellent form as he took both frames against Jim ‘the wily old fox’ Jennings who unfortunately was not allowed to play his normal attacking game as Sean put him under pressure from the start with some good pots.  Ben Menzies another of the Spot On team who is in a rich vein of form at the moment took both frames against Ian Protheroe with one frame going down to the last few colours and the other Ben won fairly easily with the help of a well made 29 break.  Brad Williams shared the spoils with Nathan Brooks in a well played match with both players making a number of fine pots.
Alrewas D got back on the winning streak as they beat The Chimneys D 6-2.  Tom Smith got the A38 boys off to a fine start with a well controlled display of potting in both frames as he beat Bill Davidson with the help of breaks consisting of 30 and 33 respectively.  This fine start was also helped by Dave Riley’s contribution as he shared two quality games with Adi Millington.  This put the home team 3-1 ahead at the turn and as it proved not to be caught.  Tony Trueman showed a great mixture of safety play and when to pot in beating Stephen Williams with a little bit to spare.  In the battle of the old campaigners who with their vast knowledge and experience turned out to be honours even between Brian Aldridge and Fisherman Brian Alford with both players in good form with some cracking pots made by Brian Aldridge and this was equaled by Brian Alford in the safety department.
SDSC D maintained their 100% unbeaten record and also their fourth consecutive 5-3 win as they beat Woodville S&S A in a tight match.  The first frame between Jim Marcer and Andy Bloor was a bit of an odd one with Andy getting into the match a lot quicker which enabled him to establish a good lead going into the last couple of reds and so by the time they got to the colours Jim needed snookers but he managed to claw his way back into the game with a number of well laid snookers which after potting a lovely pink he had the chance on the black but failed and it left Andy with a difficult long black but he potted it as clean as a whistle – a great pot and an excellent frame.  Andy took the second frame which again was only decided on the high colours.  Alan Orpwood got the home team back on level terms as he beat David Wain in two close frames with Alan having some good running.  Alan potted well in the first frame with Dave coming back at him to take it to a black ball game.  Alan took the second frame with Dave having very little luck.  Pat Ryan and Garton Bloor shared their match with two contrasting frames with Pat missing very little.  In the second frame Garton who seemed to like the table potted everything that was put in front of him.  The first frame between Tony Coleman and Brian Bloor was a very close run thing with all the colours bar the black at one end of the table and the reds on the yellow side of the table making it difficult to get any decent breaks but Brian made a telling break of 16 to get himself back in the game with the match going down to the black which Brian potted.  The second frame Brian was always in control and was safe on the brown to give his team a hard earned win.  Brian finished the frame off with a nice 21 break.
Swad Cons C did very well to come away from The Baulkline with a draw.  Wayne Smith the club’s most consistent player was again in fine form as he got the home team off to good start in beating Peter Fearn with both players being in ‘good nick’ but it was the all round snooker game of Wayne that just shaded it.  Jon Petcher for the Cons got them back on level terms at the turn round with a battling performance in beating Mark Storr.  Jon Sully and Paul Griffin shared the two frames in a match that did not really get going from a potting point of view with the draw being the fair result.  The final two frames of the night between Mick Taylor and John Griffin was going to decide the outcome of the nights work but try as they could to earn a victory they had to settle for an honourable draw.
Ivanhoe D got a very good away win at Swad Cons D winning 6-2.  The Cons talisman potter Gaz Ward could not have got them off to a worst start than by losing both frames to Keith Bale who on the night turned in a superb potting display with Gaz not being able to respond.  Dave Bodie got the Cons first frame of the night in a closely fought match with Roy Hickman who was playing league snooker for the first time this season as the players shared the frames.  Roy made a number of small breaks to win his frame.  Andy Boam did very well to take a frame off Warner ‘Brucie’ Collins after Warner waltzed through the first frame with a number of quality pots but in the second frame Andy’s safety play was so good that Warner struggled with it.  Jason Collins was again in fine form in taking both frames off the slightly out of sorts Keiron Dadley.  This win keeps them nicely in touch with the leading pack.
Woodville S&S B maintained their unbeaten record by beating a slightly unlucky Swad Cons B 5-3 away.  As so often this season Mark Gallagher has given Woodville a good start to the evening and tonight was no exception as he beat Gerald White in two close frames but with Mark always having the upper hand in both.  Paul Hollis started well to put the Cons first frame of the night on the board with the help of a nice little 20 break to take his frame but the safety skills of Terry Eyley in the second frame paid dividends with Terry taking it fairly comfortably.  The experienced play of Vince Draper helped to get the home side back on level terms as he took both frames off Wayne Allen.  Vince played a number of good long pots in both frames.  Dennis Moore was Woodville’s top man as he won both frames against Lee Harrison with a measured display of when to play safe and when to pot.  This win keeps Woodville nicely placed in the division.
Spot On B ladies narrowly lost for the second week running this time at the hands of Rolleston B 5-3.  In a very competitive match between Gilda Horvath and Neil Cheadle the first frame was very close with Neil winning it on the pink.  The second frame went all Neil’s way which left Gilda struggling.  On the other table Marie Bridges was making Aaron Doyle work for his win with him saying afterwards that that was the best he has played all year with Marie making a number of cracking pots.  So at the half way stage Rolleston were comfortably in front but as the saying goes ‘when the going gets tough the tough get going’ and that is what happened to these ladies for the second week running.  Yvonne Spendlove started Spot On’s revival by piling the pressure on against Dave Bentley with some very confident potting as she won her frames despite not feeling too well struggling with the after effects of the flu jab.  The final frames of this enthralling match was played out between Kate Stirling and Steve Atkin and it went down to the final black.  Kate took the first frame with some exceptional pots to take the frame with ease.  Steve had to up his game in the final frame in what proved to be a highly entertaining game with Steve starting to pot well and opening up a good early lead.  Kate showed her battling qualities to take the frame to a black ball frame.  Kate had the first chance at potting the black but unfortunately it rattled in the jaws leaving Steve a tricky straight pot for the win which he potted much to the relief of his team mates and disappointment to the ladies for a great fight back.