Latest update (10 July)
Following a meeting of the committee it has been decided that we will end the current season with immediate effect.
Our three leagues will be decided on an average points per game basis. A team’s number of total points is divided by the number of matches they have played to date. The resulting figure is the average number of points each team has earned in each match of the 2019-20 season. That average points figure is then applied to each remaining game that is outstanding.
The final tables will be determined and completed online over the next week or two. Promotions and relegations will apply and carry forward to the 2020-21 season.
This decision has not been taken lightly. Rolleston, Newhall, Tutbury and South Derbys clubs are not scheduled to open until near August. The guidance on what snooker can be played in those clubs that are open is restrictive and the WPBSA are advising that team competitions should not start. With older members still shielding and August/ early Sep potentially providing much needed holiday time the prospect of finishing last season effectively and beginning a new season this year is not feasible.
However, with regards to the 5 outstanding 2019-20 player competition finals we intend to complete these matches as soon as we can at the beginning of the new season. Likewise, we would like to think that we can also complete the Orme Shield and Plate semi-finals and finals at the beginning of the new season – although we may well have to play the Shield and Plate finals on separate nights due to the number of people.
With regards to the new season our intention is to hold an AGM in mid/late August (2 representatives from each club) in the large room at Belmont. We would then be looking to begin the 2020-21 season in the last week of September. We also have committee positions to fill such as Chairman and Treasurer.
A new season start is clearly dependent on any further government/WPBSA guidance and changing conditions that may appear over the coming weeks. We would only want to begin a new season when all of our members believe it safe to do so.
We do not plan on holding a presentation night this year. Our intention is to provide some trophies for the 2019-20 season but where possible to subsidise league entry costs for the 2020-21 season. The exact details have yet to be determined.
We thank you all for your patience and support at this difficult time, our primary concern is to ensure all our members are safe, however, we all look forward to supporting our clubs and potting some balls soon.
Hope you are all well and see you all soon.
27 May update
I hope all of you, and your families, are well.
As you will all be aware, given the wider circumstances, the league is still suspended until further notice.
The committee will consider any changes to government guidance over the coming weeks with regards to the impact that may have on the suspension of the league.
Our primary duty of care will always be to the health and well-being of our members. We will consider any changes to lockdown that do come to light carefully alongside the needs of the different clubs who provide the facilities for our league.
We will obviously communicate any further update at that point.
Coronavirus Statement – League suspended until further notice
Update 8 April: Given the current lockdown the league is still suspended and we will review again at the end of April.
As a League, it is critical that we understand the impact the Coronavirus pandemic could have on all our members and the league.
The committee has its member’s welfare as paramount in any decisions we undertake. We do not wish to place any of our members at risk by asking them to play, especially as we have many older members within our ranks.
Today committee have discussed the current crisis. This pandemic is changing by the hour. We are mindful that the forecast for the foreseeable future is one where things could get considerably worse before they get better. We have taken into consideration local events alongside the most recent government and WHO guidelines.
After the recent decisions undertaken in the greater sporting world, we are all in full agreement to take the unprecedented decision to suspend the ‘Burton & District Clubs Snooker League’ and all cup competitions with immediate effect.
We will be holding a meeting in the first week of April to re-evaluate the situation and decide next steps .
I trust you fully support our reasons for taking this decision.
Presentation evening 1 May
We have now also taken the decision to postpone the Presentation Evening that was scheduled for 1 May. We had to cancel the act, venue and food to ensure we give those people enough notice and also to not commit the League to expenditure on an event that may not come to fruition.
27 Feb: Rolleston A v Swad Cons A tbd
5 Mar: Ivanhoe B v Tutbury B now 18 Mar
10 Mar: Burton Cons C v Alrewas C tbd
4pts – Tutbury B – Late cancellation of week 8 match (24-48hrs rule 9bi).
12pts – Swad Cons A – Late cancellation of week 9 match (0-4hrs rule 9biii)
12pts – SDSC E – Late cancellation of week 13 match (0-4hrs rule 9biii)
2pts: Week 12 Rolleston D late matchcard.
2pts: Week 14 Spot On C late matchcard.
Please support these sponsors as without them the league would struggle to survive financially.